Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Genesight test

This Genesight test uses a person's DNA to supposedly help docs determine which psychotropic medications are more likely to be effective for an individual and which ones are more likely to have unwanted side effects. It's supposed to help minimize the trial and error of finding the right drug. I read that it's been clinically tested, peer reviewed, etc.

Have any of you or your LOs had this test and did it help the doctors select an effective medication?  I'm asking because a MC that I'm considering for my wife encourages their residents to have this test done.  It's apparently a simple cheek swab and Medicare supposedly covers it with little or no additional cost.

It seems like many folks here have had a hard time finding a medicine for their LO that actually works without having unwanted side effects.  If this test actually does what they claim it does, I think I'd have heard about it already.

Comments

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 365
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    Wow, that's the first I have heard of that.  Hopefully someone on the forum has some information about the test.
  • dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    It's my understanding that it's only really good for antidepressants and ADHD and the behaviors the people here have are way beyond what an antidepressant can do, more into the antipsychotic meds, like Seroquel and risperidone.

Nice extra bit of revenue the facility has found.  Just for that, I'd move on and look at other facilities because where there is 1 money grab, there are bound to be more.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    This is the first I've heard about it. What day says makes sense to me.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    I know a number of people who have used it for their children on the autism spectrum.

It is especially useful in selecting the best SSRI candidates to trial given that each medication can take a month to show benefits/side effects and then several weeks to wean off of if the medication isn't a good fit. The report does include SSRIs, antipsychotics, psychostimulants and benzos.

Here's a sample report from their website-

GeneSight.Psychotropic.Report.pdf
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    60falcon, this has been commercially available for a while but has not been well validated that I know of. It essentially checks for the genotypes of a number of enzymes that are important in drug metabolism and makes predictions on whether someone will be a “fast” or “slow “ metabolized of drugs based on their genetic profile. I’m not aware that it has been shown to be any more helpful than trial and error. I’ll check my online resources though and let you know if I find anything relevant.
  • 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    Thanks for the replies.  I was curious and thought it was interesting that this MC encouraged residents to be tested, and that I've never heard of it here or anywhere else.  I don't think it's a money-grab kind of thing for the MC  since the test is administered by the residents own healthcare providers.  I do think the MC would like to see any medication changes be effective sooner rather than longer trial and error efforts.  It's something to think about anyway.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more