Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH had a bad fall followed by a substantial mental decline.

DH fell on the concrete driveway 2 days ago. Fractured nose & required stitches. Other facial injuries including a substantial road rash on his forehead, cheeks and chin. Had a CAT scan at the emergency room. No indication of stroke that would cause the fall or a concussion as a result of the fall. Question: Can this sort of trauma spark a sudden decline in cognition? Can I expect that to resolve as he heals?
Looking for some plausible explanation for unusual behaviors and the loss of some long term memories immediately following this fall. He was discharged from Emergency at midnight and I put him to bed. I woke at 2:30 am to find him sitting on the edge of the bed sorting coins from our massive coin jar. He was trying to count them and couldn't. Next morning we received a letter from our nephew with a school photo included of our 13-yr-old great niece. Not only did he not recognize her, he had no recollection that our nephew even had a child. This morning I was having a Facebook chat with our 8 year old grandson. DH had no idea who that little boy was. Just a few examples - there are others. Bottom line is it's an extraordinary and sudden decline in DH's mental status and I'm concerned that the medicos may have missed something.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    So sorry this happened. I do think the trauma can cause decline, and unfortunately only time will tell whether it's temporary or not. There can be delayed bleeding after head trauma, so if things get worse or he becomes lethargic I would have him rescanned. Probably have to give it a few days.  I certainly know my stage 5 partner has taken more unexplained falls in the past year than she used to-four that I know of. Thankfully none that have required ER evaluation yet.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    M1 has a medical background. I do not. But I wonder if they checked for a UTI? That could have possibly caused the fall, and UTIs also contribute to (usually temporary) symptoms that mimic progression.
  • Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    I'm sorry you're going through this new unknown. Wonder if the hospital prescribed pain meds and the decline could be a reaction to the med
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

So sorry this happened. Hope his condition will improve after a few days. 

I had to laugh at the picture you have posted! 

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I almost fell today.  I had my cat's water bowl in one hand and had to use my other hand to brace myself on the refrigerator.  Falls are dangerous!  Yes, to all of the above.  He could have had a UTI, or could have bleeding in the brain or a concussion.  Or he may be having normal progression.  Keep an eye on him and follow up with the ER as necessary.

Iris

• caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I do believe this type of trauma can spark a sudden decline.   I am no DR but I have seen this with my DH.  He fell last year and broke his collar bone.  He did decline afterwards but went back to his "normal" slowly.  He fell again this past November and fractured 2 ribs.  He was in the hospital for 2 nights.  He declined again but did get better for a while.  The past 2 weeks he seems to have declined again.   This time I don't think that has to do with the fall but progression of the disease.  Hoping your DH gets back to his "normal" soon.
  • jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes

Thanks to all for your thoughtful responses. We've had a difficult few days and this is the first opportunity for me to touch base with you all again. You all provide a valuable touchstone when I find myself adrift in a sudden sea change.

The ER did do a quick urinalysis while we were waiting for results of the CT scan and ruled out UTI. Although DH was considerably uncomfortable, the doctor did not offer pain meds and I did not ask for them. I did keep him on Tylenol for several days and he didn't really complain of extraordinary pain or headache, so I'm taking that as as reassurance that he doesn't have an undiagnosed bleed. The odd behaviors continue, but are more mystifying than they are alarming. I still hope that he will improve with time.

Thanks again for being here for me to help me make sense of an often insensible situation. I'll keep you all in my prayers and I hope you'll do the same for me.

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Thank you for taking the time to give us an update! I have been thinking about you two. I hope things continue to improve. You are in my prayers.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Thank you for update and glad your husband is not in pain.   You and your family are in my prayers. I love that you used the word “touchstone “. God bless you! 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more