Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Way Off Topic: Solar Panels

Jo C.
Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I shall remove this Thread fairly soon.  We live in Southern California.   My DH is wanting to put Solar Panels on our two story house.   However; we are aging, and due to my husband's condition, I do not see us staying in our big house any longer than three to six years . . . ten at the outside most and that length of time would be a bit iffy.

It is an expensive prospect and the panels are huge.  Do any of you have solar power and if so, how do you feel about having it both pluses and minuses, and are there things you would change?

Thank you in advance for any replies; I am not knowledgable about this whatsoever and am a bit uncomfortable due to the cost and the changes to the roof, etc.  Chicken Little me.

J.

Comments

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 453
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    If you live in an area with a lot of dust or, worst case scenario, ash, be aware that those things collect on the panels and reduce efficiency. Ours need to be hosed off now and then. Just one more thing to do and depending on your set up it can be difficult or dangerous.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Thank you; I did not know that.   We would have to hire someone; neither of us is a roof walker on a second story these days.

J.

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 453
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    We manage with a powerful sprayer and a ladder, but every situation is different.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    I have consulted to the solar industry on safety issues.  NOTHING about solar panels is for "do it your selfers"
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Yes, they must me kept clean.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia