Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

WTH???

What the hay? I couldn’t figure out where to post this musing... on the most recent “laughing to keep from crying” thread, or Lorita and friends’ legacy thread since that is literally the only place I can recall this topic being discussed regularly to my knowledge. But that doesn’t explain why DH has livestock on his mind right now. Seriously, this is a MAJOR mystery and coincidence. We just never have discussed anything related to cows. Never. At all. 

He has been chattering pretty randomly the last 24 hours. Something is definitely up. He just started chuckling to himself. No idea why. Didn’t ask. 

Then he starts telling me something about his mom and how he’s supposed to go pick her up (that’s going to be a long trip (!) she’s been in her heavenly home for many years.) I am in my noncommittal, “is that right?, you don’t say, that’s interesting, I’m not sure, oh wow”  cooperative conversation mode while he jumps from one thing to the next with dizzying speed:

“What happened to the guys?” (Blank look from me). “Did you throw them away?” (He looks sincere). smh

“How does my room look”? (Nice). “How does my room look? (He repeats louder and louder, and I respond in kind. Then he stops in the 3rd round. “Oh, I didn’t hear that”.  

“So what time did you plan on leaving? You’re not picking  all the people up are you? “ (I find I can half-listen to his stream of consciousness like I used to do his conflated monologues — without him noticing), “How far is your momma from where you are gonna be? (Then something about me drinking water (?) just very odd randomness this evening).

Then the one that still always catches me off guard: “Well where’d my wife go?- Thought she’d be back by now”. I just let that one sit there. But he does have my attention now, whether he knows it or not.

He continues... mumble mumble and something about the cattle. “Cattle?” I ask just to be sure, as I have been raising baby calves vicariously lately with our forum mates, but I definitely haven’t discussed any of our posts with him. He repeats it. “Yes, cattle. You know... the... those...(gesturing, searching for the words) the animals. They start off as horses and when they get older then they become cows.”

So matter of fact. So confident. And articulate. So totally wrong of course, but close I guess...? Kinda sorta?. And so weird that this city boy is even contemplating this topic. Well at least now you know (!) I will have to see what our friends on the front porch think of this news.

WTH. What a weird disease. In the end I was so perplexed, I just reverted to one of my AD tried & true responses: “Oh”. 

Comments

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    This sounds much like the patter of daily “conversation” I exchange with DW.  I also have a repertoire of noncommittal responses since I generally have little idea of what she is really trying to say. Her Semantic Dementia (SD) leaves her speech fluent and grammatical correct, but as one report on SD said “strikingly devoid of content”. 
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I have always wondered why there are so many more cattle than horses.  Thank you.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Butterfly Wings 

That definitely calls for a glass of wine! 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

LOL - I like the way you all think! Thanks for the responses.

Learned a new official term for what is occurring (I had not heard of semantic dementia but it fits perfectly), great humor (with a bonus emoji and link ), and well-deserved a glass of wine!

• David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    At least they’re not pigs!  I don’t think I could take flying pigs; so much comes with that!  I’d have to follow the through on so many agreements!
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    BW I so admire your patience.  We are having increasing aphasia/word finding difficulty but I am blessed that she has a sense of humor about it, and we can usually laugh together when I'm trying to figure out what she's talking about. We make a guessing game of it when we can. Times when she's tired she gets more frustrated.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more