Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Ice Cream and manic behaviour

I just had a really terrible night.  Imagine a really bad night of wandering, manic behavior, and self-endangerment.

After some hard thinking and connecting some dots from other threads, the two incidences I have had like this, nearly identical, had in common one major thing. Ben and Jerry's.

No knock on B&J, I am a huge fan, but just don't consume a lot of it, but on two road trips, separated by over a year with no similar behavior, the linkage is glaringly obvious to me.  It is not just a sugar load before bedtime, it is a sugar and ice cream load near bedtime.

This may  be specific to my gal's biology, but I figure any clue to this catastrophic behavior is worth mentioning.  Lactose intolerance and manic behavior have been mentioned a few times on other sites.

One more thing to think about.

Comments

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes
    Lactose intolerance does develop in older people, and it can be very painful. Maybe (I’m sure not a doc but I am LI) she was in pain, and not realizing  what it was, just manic to “get away” from the pain. A rich ice cream hits me hard. (Certain lactose foods are far worse for me than others, that’s a whole other story). Plus she got a sugar dose.
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    I have to eat sorbet or sherbet. If I eat the heavy ice cream, my stomach bloats and I usually end up on the porcelain throne every half hour or so. My tastes have really changed. My husband loves high fat ice cream but now I check the fat content and try to keep it below 6%. Any higher and well it’s the Hershey highway. I don’t know if his behaviour is affected, he is given to yelling, screaming, pacing and stamping his feet.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I find that the first spoonful and the last spoonful of a bowl of ice cream are the best, so I eat those and skip the inferior spoonfuls in the middle.  It helps.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more