Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Nursing home labor shortage

Comments

• Judi57
    Judi57 Member Posts: 61
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Nice article, Ed.  This is also happening in home aides.  I once had an aide for my husband at 20 hours a week through a federal program.  She left because of her husband's move to another state.  The agency didn't have any replacements.  We did get someone finally a month later, but only 4 hours a week.  

Definitely a crisis for the health care system.

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    This has been predicted for 75 years.  The Baby Boom clogged the maternity wards, the schools, and the job market.  Now we are clogging the nursing homes, as predicted.  <sigh>
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

We're hit by employment shortages everywhere right now. I have plans to place DH - but the facility I chose stopped taking new residents 2 months ago. I'm waiting for them to open back up. I'm pretty sure this is due to staffing difficulties, although they're not really saying that. How could that not be one of the factors?

I'm worried about how this will play out long term. 

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm having the same HHA care problem as Judi. Approved for 30 hrs a week payment assistance for an aide, but months later...the agencies just can't find anyone to take the shifts. 

(Unless I'm OK with unvaccinated help that is...seems there are a few of those available and it is apparently up to me if I want to accept them despite the risk.) Really? As if. 

Yes, this shortage is definitely not good and no end in sight. Who knows how it will all play out.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

It’s a labor shortage.   Reading the article, the existing homes are closing off entire floors because they can’t hire  needed staff. It isn’t that the demand has increased.  When people can go make the same pay or more at McDonalds or Walmart, then that’s what they will do.  The work is easier.  The hours are better, the benefits  are better. 

There are also less health risks at those places.  Yes, you see customers.  For a short amount of time per customer. As opposed to patients and visitors. 

My parent’s assisted living facility is having the same issue, as are many others in the area. People agree to work, and then quit after a week because they found something better. This place doesn’t take Medicaid, so it’s not a low fee issue. 

The only way to fix it is to provide the needed incentives to retain staff.  Pay child care.  Pay tuition to go from CNA to LPN. Or from a resident assistant to a CNA, etc. provide free meals if you aren’t already.  Give rewards.  Gift cards etc.  For nursing homes, Medicaid reimbursement needs to be increased.  We’ve got to acknowledge the true cost of long term care and pay for it.  Maybe give the staf of Medicaid eligible facilities a break on their taxes. 

One more thing to note: we’ve lost 1 of every 100 living seniors in the last two years to covid.  That’s only the ones we know about.   What does a demographic change like that do to senior living situations etc.  

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Walgreen and CVS are closing a few stores, temporarily.  Between covid and a wave of retirements, every industry has labor shortages.

Maybe it's time we eased the restrictions on immigration.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more