Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Silent Seizures

DW has started having a few bouts of heighten confusion and agitation.  These bouts generally don't last more than a few hours, rather than a continuous change.
Thanks to this forum I suspected a UTI and checked with her PCP who ordered a through urinalysis with culture, and also extensive blood work.  I was surprised to hear after a number of days that the urinalysis indicated no infection, but she did have an elevated TSH level.  She takes meds for hypothyroidism and her meds are being increased.
I then contacted DW's neurologist with this information and asked what might be the issue.  She cited three possible reasons:
1. The TSH levels, although she didn't seem to see this as likely
2. A general further decline in her condition
3. She stated: "in some cases, episodes of increased confusion can actually be due to seizure activity. Again, seizures (non-shaking type) are relatively common in dementia."
The last one was new to me.  Doing a little googling I read more about "Silent Seizures: A Surprising Phenomenon in Alzheimer's Disease", also called absence seizures.  I searched this forum for those and it did not turn too many informative threads, Most references to seizures were for those that leave the person with tremors or nearly comatose for short periods.  DW showed no overt signs of a seizure other that the increased confusion and agitation.  (Note: DW doesn't have AD, but Semantic Dementia)
Has anyone here had any experience with such silent seizures and bouts of heightened confusion?  The neurologist suggested she may need meds for this if they get worse, but these can have side effects.  Anyone have experience with seizure meds for silent seizures?

Comments

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

After my husband had a ruptured cerebral aneurysm (years before dementia diagnosis) a neurologist did some testing and said it was likely he was having non-convulsive seizures. He started one med and had bad side effects. Then he was put on another. Fast forward six years, the new neurologist basically called BS on that and discontinued the anti-seizure meds. 

Absolutely no difference in my husband. 

I don’t have a great deal of trust in doctors anymore.

• Gmom28
    Gmom28 Member Posts: 17
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    Good morning, My DH (age 64) has frequent jerking motions. His Neurologist has prescribed Levetiracetamn for him 2x's per day. This does seem to help a bit; they aren't as forceful for hi. We will review with the Dr on our visit in February.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more