Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Plan B(1)

jfkoc
jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Over and over we post and read about a Plan B for our loved ones. 

Today I read a post that brought me up short. All my paper work is in order but what about my Plan B?

Gig Harbor has posted that she has a binder with all relevent info at the ready. I need to create one that contains all the info from bank to PCP to passwords. I will keep a copy of this at home and at the bank.

I think I will also write my obit and pick out my photo for it. My children can add what they want.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Jfkoc, I keep a red paper notebook in my fireproof box that has all my account numbers and passwords written down.  I update it every year (January, meaning I need to do it now), and I have told both my children where it is, so should that day come, they'll know where to look for it.

I know they say that this is a theft hazard, but the box itself is in a relatively obscure location in the house.  I figured it was an okay compromise.

• ElCy
    ElCy Member Posts: 151
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    We have no children and I have 1 brother who lives 3000 miles away. I put together a folder for him that my boss, who is a friend and whom I trust completely, put in his safe. If anything happens to me, my boss will know before anyone and will contact  my brother.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I'm planning now on writing my obituary.  Only I know what I want in it.

Iris

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Agreed !!!!
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

The following excellent information is from, Brent-In-Va.  He placed it on the "I Have Alzhemer's Forum."  It is regard how to set up a plan for oneself if one does not have family or friends to conduct the caregiving dynamics:

"Hello, I am new here. I am in my 60's and experiencing some cognitive changes. I will be tested in February 2022 with a neurologist. I am at elevated risk for Alz as my mother's side immediate family all had Alz and passed away in their 70's. I am actively trying to be proactive in planning for what may be coming my way. Being proactive and planning as much as I can gives me some relief from the anxiety which I believe is caused more by the unknown and what if's. I am attaching a list of planning steps below that I have put together to help me over the months that I have been working on this. Perhaps it may help someone else with their planning.

I found it difficult to find information for people who have no family or friends that you can count on to be your financial or medical POA. Seems everything is geared for people with family and close friends.

I call this a "Recipe for Incapacity or End-of-Life Planning for Anyone Without Family/Friends". Adjust to your needs, taste, and affordability.

Hope this is helpful! All the best to everyone!

RECIPE FOR INCAPACITY OR END-OF-LIFE PLANNING

FOR ANYONE WITHOUT FAMILY/FRIENDS

Ingredients (adjust according to need, taste, and affordability):

1 Primary Care Physician (that really has interest in your overall health. Consider a concierge doctor)

1 Attorney (Eldercare or Estate Planning)

1 Financial Advisor

1 Tax Preparer/Accountant (or other service/volunteer offering tax preparation)

1 Medical and Home Care Manager

1-4 Insurance (Life, Health, Long Term Care, Personal Catastrophic Liability)

1 Heaping of Money (pension, Social Security, savings, home/property, reverse mortgage)

* 1. Work with an attorney (Eldercare or Estate Planning) to get legal documents written to name someone to act on your behalf, for both financial management and medical management. If you have no family or close friends that you can trust, then you will need to consider naming a professional to act for you. Some attorneys and law firms will act as your financial POA and some family service or religious based service organizations (who usually help anyone regardless of your religious background or affiliation), like Jewish Family Services, Methodist Family Services, etc. may act as your medical POA and even as financial POA.  Documents you need to consider from an attorney are Will, Financial DPOA, Health POA, Advance Medical Directive or Living Will, HIPPA Authorization, Revocable Trust, Do Not Resuscitate (DNR), and Disposition of Remains authorization. Also, similar to an Advanced Medical Directive and Living Will, if allowed in your state, consider getting from your doctor a POLST (or MOLST) form, describing what medical treatments you do or do not want. 

* 2. Have and wear a medical ID tag or bracelet made stating "Dementia", along with name and emergency contact info. Consider wearing an emergency/medical alert device.

* 3. Register with your local police department as a person with dementia at your address.

* 4. Contact a local funeral home to plan in advance for your own funeral by deciding where and how you want to be buried, cremated, or consider being donated to science and research. 

* 5. You can find help managing your monthly bills for a monthly fee, by using a bill paying service like “silverbills.com", or a local family service and home health care organization that offers bill paying or money management services. Seniors can try contacting their local area agency for the aging for local resources and assistance.

* 6. Use online senior resource search sites to help you find resources that you need help with.

* 7. Create a folder or binder with plastic pocket sheets (or save to a flash drive), containing as much information about you as possible. Make 2 extra copies of this folder and provide 1 copy to your trusted financial DPOA agent and 1 copy to your medical POA agent along with a house key (or if comfortable doing so, place key in a small combination lock box like real estate agents use and lock in place outside near front or back door). Include as much of the following as possible in your folder or binder and keep all 3 binders updated annually or more often as needed:

*      All important contacts with name, relationship, phone, address

*      List your current healthcare providers with name, specialty, phone, address

*      List all insurance policies - health, life, auto, with name, phone, policy numbers

*      List preferred hospital

*      List all current prescription and non-prescription meds used

*      List any food and drug allergies

*      List vaccination history record with name of vaccine, dose, date and where received

*      List current medical conditions and treating provider with contact info

*      List medical history condition, treating provider, age, any notes

*      List blood related immediate family member medical histories if known

*      List all financial institutions and accounts. Provide to your financial POA agent

*      Include photocopies of driver’s license, health insurance card, Medicare card, etc..

*      Include funeral plans with name of funeral home and cemetery

*      List things you like, type of music, cooking, reading, games, TV shows & Movies, gardening, etc.. 

* 8. Unclutter your home and get organized as much as possible. Hold yard/garage sales. Think downsizing and prepare for possibly moving into assisted living and memory care if you can afford it or have LTC insurance. Remember all your savings and property is there to take care of you as you need it.  If you run out of money, you will need to apply for Medicaid several months before you do. Medicaid usually will pay for nursing home care. But learn and beware of Medicaid eligibility requirements. To help cover all your basis, look for a continuing care community offering different levels of care (independent, assisted, memory, and skilled nursing) that accepts Medicare and Medicaid. You don't want to move into one place that offers only independent and assisted living, but no memory or skilled nursing care if you have or are at higher risk for dementia/Alz, and have to move out when you would be unable to cope with finding a new place to live.

* 9.  If or when you become unable to make decisions for your own health and finances, you may need court appointed public assistance or private pay Guardianship or Conservatorship.

* 10. Consider being an outspoken advocate on behalf of seniors locally and/or nationally. "

Thank you to Brent for the thoughtfulness in providing this information.

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Such helpful information to have on hand, Jo C.. Thank you for reposting Brent's info here!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more