Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Animal care taken to the extreme--just venting.

M1
M1 Member Posts: 6,717
1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

This is just a vent.  It's been a beautiful snowy day here today.  My partner found a mouse in the chicken house--in a little front room where their food is stored in metal garbage cans.  I think the mice come in from pipes around the sink--no chicken house is vermin-proof.  Now she wants to go feed it because she doesn't want it to be cold or hungry.

I'm so over it:  that's the last thing I want is more vermin in the chicken house.  Should have kept my mouth shut though, now she's mad at me because I wouldn't help her.

I'm sick of this obsession.  Hoping the cats and chickens all die off fairly soon; I will not replace them.  And of course if she falls out there tromping around in the snow, I'm the one who will have to deal.

Like I said, just a vent!!

Comments

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Life does not begin at conception.  Life does not begin at birth.  Life begins when the kids leave home and the pets die.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

(((M1)))

And the jokes on this thread! You all are cracking me up

• M1
    exactly BW.  The absurdity!!  OMG such a waste of money and time.  Unfortunately she not quite far enough along for one of the fake cats, but I've got it filed away.....
  • Stuck in the middle
    We had chicken for dinner last night.  Just saying.
  • CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    HaHa...this made me chuckle.  Since DH has been progressing, his obsession with animals of all kinds, especially our 2 dogs, have become the focus of everything.  I have to admit, I love and spoil our dogs too, but the emotional tie he seems to have with animals now is way way too much.  He cries if he sees a animal shelter commercial, cries if a bird hits our window, heck he even gets upset if there is a dead squirrel or skunk on the side of the road!  This is the same person that has never once cried for me, heck he didn't even cry when his parents died.  But see a dead bunny outside and its time for the tears to flow.
  • M1

I know Stuck, but we're both too chicken (pun intended) to knock 'em off.  We have an Egyptian contact who is happy to cull however, so that may be in order.   One of the three is not laying at all, so she's just a pet; the other two are still egg producers (though not in January).  The other option is just to let them out of the coop and the critters around here will get them in short order...big bobcat walked right by our security cameras the other night.  I don't know how the ducks don't get eaten all the time (though they have a little floating island).

We used to fish catfish out of our pond until the otters ate 'em all, and we would kill the catfish with a .22 pistol.  Seemed more humane to her than letting them suffocate.  

So you can see, this animal thing is longstanding.  Most of the time I can deal, but protecting the mice is just one step too far.  It's just caregiving overload.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    We have a daughter who might do that. When she was a kid, going to school after a rain, she would pick up the worms from the sidewalk so the other kids didn't step on them.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Years ago in the Readers' Digest:  Woman was buying mice at the pet store to feed their pet snake.  After she paid, she was handed a box of mice with tiny air holes and the printed message "Thank you for giving me a good home."

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more