Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My caregiver as told by his wife

Good Morning,

My caregiver is my husband and has been by my side for almost 3 years. During this adventure, his mother passed away and was also her caregiver. That was 6 months ago and I don't think he has had time to grieve.

My husband cooks complicated meals, because he enjoys cooking. I don't taste them and in fact, I am intimidated by their ingredients. My taste buds are all dying and find many foods unpalatable. I understand how frustrated he is becoming, but I can't force myself to eat, when I don't taste or understand the textures. 

He makes sure my sheets, clothes and towels are clean, even though I carry the sheets around the house, leave towels on the floor and refuse to change my clothes daily. I worry that he doesn't understand my needs are his affection and his touch. All the other things are second and third on the chart.

It upsets me when he gets frustrated and uses stronger words to "help get his message across". The tone of his voice makes me cry, which he takes personally and then tries harder. I wish I could let him know that my intransigence is not rebellion. It is the obtuse place where my mind lives.

He sees how my friends treat me when they visit, but he can't find the strength to keep cool and stay collected. I know I am driving him crazy and also know he won't give up.

I wish he understood that my behaviors are me not being my best or even 2nd best. They are a collective where misplaced thoughts, emotions and more reside.

This morning, he went to the gym to "work it out". I hope again, that he also strengthens his patience and understanding. I know he is frustrated, but I have no way to tell him that his life is not over.

My husband is an artist, a social being and a gentle man. I don't want to take these things from him. I just don't know how. 

Comments

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Good morning C,

That’s some food for thought, beautifully put but heartbreaking. I wasn’t sure by your title, who wrote it? 

• Comrade
    Comrade Member Posts: 52
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    I wrote it.
  • DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary

Of course you did.

And it is perfect considering the situation we as caregivers find ourselves in for lo, these many years.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Really poignant. Thank you for sharing this. Yes, her husband is an artist! You have been through a lot already. My condolences on your mom’s passing. And we spouse caregivers especially, know this disease takes no prisoners. 

I hope your writing provides you with some periodic relief and a measure of healing amidst the constant anticipatory grieving we are trying to navigate as our LOs go through the devastating dementia losses of their own.

Thank you for sharing these touching thoughts.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Great device for some introspection on caregiving challenges.  You get an ‘A’ for self-awareness!  

Hang tough.  This caregiving gig is a marathon, and some miles are harder than others.  We are running it with you, and cheering you on.  

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I am so very sorry for your loss of your mother.  Thank you for sharing.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Comrade, that is over the top well written. You really "get it". "I worry that he doesn't understand my needs are his affection and his touch. All the other things are second and third on the chart." I think that is the most important thing you wrote. It really comes from the other side of the aisle.
  • Newbernian
    Newbernian Member Posts: 34
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments

Thank you, Comrade.  Your talent is our gift.  I'm sorry about your Mother.

Your words brought Robert Frost's words to my mind...

"But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep."

This expresses the weariness I hear in your words and the weariness we all feel.

• mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    Comrade,

I can so relate to this pain, especially the "carrying the sheets around the house", but my DH is gone now and all I do is cry. Please hang in there-your love is showing through so much,

Michele

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Comrade,

You certainly are an artist. 

I am so sorry about your mother. That is a hard loss.

You really do understand the stuff those with dementia experience. I am not there yet but I am trying. I showered my husband and shaved him today. He loved it. I have to admit so did I. Touch is important, even if in our circumstances it is like a parental thing rather than a couple thing. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more