Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Nano Vacation

Today my HWD and I went on an adventure and I must say we both had really good time!

We went for a drive through a gorgeous river valley; there was pogonip everywhere. We had reservations for a private pool at a hot springs. This was so much easier than getting him to shower. He needed a great deal of help getting dressed, which made me realize that it is probably why he seldom changes clothes and insists in sleeping in his clothing.

More driving through lovely scenery, then lunch at a view restaurant. The people at the next table were blathering on about the layout changes at their grocery store and the ratio of ice cream to frozen yogurt in the freezer cases and we so stupid that I didn’t even feel jealous that I cannot converse with my husband.

He is forgetting who I am, but he still knows we are very special to each other. I have somehow turned a corner and am able to cherish these times without so much fear and sadness.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Sounds beautiful Lynne. What is pogonip? And would your husband get in the hot spring?
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Delighted for you that you and your DH had such a great day, Lynne.   And that you’re adjusting to the new reality.  One of the larger losses on this journey is when our spouses/ partners no longer know who we are.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Lynne that sounds like a great adventure. So very happy for you both! Any time you can enjoy your day out and about is a miracle for sure. Just to be able to relax. Thank you for sharing. 

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Well you got me curious so I've learned a new word:  for us non-westerners, pogonip is frozen fog!!  Ha--I was hoping (too optimistic for January) that maybe it was some kind of western plant or flower I didn't know.....!  We have pogonip here too but just don't call it that.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Lynne, I'm glad you had such a great time. I hope you get many more. Like M1, I also thought it might be a wildflower or something. Learned something new today.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Lynne I am glad you had such a great time. You deserve those times and pray you have more.. freezing fog is bad. We have that in Tennessee.
  • CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Interesting, I think it's what we in Wisconsin call Hoar Frost.

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

We call them frost flowers in Missouri.  Beautiful petal-shaped crystalline structures that disappear instantly if touched.

Sounds like a beautiful day.  Thank you for sharing.

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Your last paragraph really struck a chord with me:

He is forgetting who I am, but he still knows we are very special to each other. I have somehow turned a corner and am able to cherish these times without so much fear and sadness.”

I am very glad to hear you say that. I think I am getting there as well. DW has forgotten specifically who I am but similarly is very comfortable with the various version of me she sees throughout the day and I am coming to accept that and move on. 

• Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    What a lovely post, Lynn.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I’m very happy you had such a nice day.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One