Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Newbie Caregiver / Spouse

Hello Everyone!

I am new to this forum and also new to this whole new world of Alzheimers. My DH was diagnosed just yesterday as having Moderate Alzheimers. I am still tearing up as I take in all that is happening and all that is to happen in our lives. 

I am thankful to find this support group forum with resources and tips to help me as I face this difficult road ahead.

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I am so sorry to hear your dh has been diagnosed. But I am fairly new here myself I find a lot of encouragement and shared experiences that have been helpful for me to understand. I know you'll  find help and acceptance here.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Welcome to the club, Inden Mom.
  • tryingtomanage
    tryingtomanage Member Posts: 2
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Hello all,  I too am new to this forum and to Alzheimers.  Looking to share ideas / support / guidance on how to help my LO and stay sane at the same time..
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Mom and trying, welcome to the forum. Sorry you have a need to be here, but you will find understanding and support here that is hard to find. So just post with any questions or concerns you might have.
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Mom,

Welcome, it is tough when you get the diagnosis but we’ve got your back. So does the local Alzheimer’s Society in your state or city. You might give them a call to get more information. My husband has dementia, not sure what kind but I am on the trail to find out. 

This forum is a godsend. People here discuss everything. Good luck.

• Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Inden Mom, I read your profile. My DH was also diagnosed at age 60. He's almost 66 now so we've been on this journey for almost 6 years. What a blessing that you found this forum as quickly as you did. You will learn a lot, be able to ask any questions, get a lot of support, and share your experiences as well.
  • Cookstownlad
    Cookstownlad Member Posts: 5
    Fourth Anniversary First Comment
    So sorry you’ve joined our community, but I guarantee you’ll find love, support and affirmation as you journey down this rocky road. I guarantee as you read other posts along the way you’ll laugh, cry, scream but above all know the authenticity and concern of everyone who’s walking with you.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Hi Inden Mom ,  and welcome! Glad you found us, you will meet some of the nicest people, most have been on this ugly road a long time and know more than any doctor out there! Keep coming back!
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Welcome! There are several of us here with younger spouses. My dh is 59 and we're about a year out from diagnosis. This group has been invaluable with topics from the obvious to the completely unexpected. Whatever is happening this week you can either ask or search (or both) and someone has been there.
  • Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Welcome to this forum. Help is always available for any questions you might have. If you put your city in your profile you might end up connecting with people who live near you. I did that and made several friends who are going through the same thing. If you need more support than this or want to see what problems others have there are some good Facebook private sites.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more