Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Question about wheelchairs

Has anyone seen or heard of a motorized wheelchair which can be controlled by the caregiver rather than the patient?

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I think this might be what you're looking for. https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/remote-control-wheelchair  
  • loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    thanks Ed for the link.

I had read that there was such a thing, but it was originally built for the patient to get out of the chair and then send the chair to an out of the way location nearby.

The only concern I have about the one shown is that it still has the patient controls.  I guess you could disconnect them or maybe even remove them.

I know for most, pushing a non-motorized chair may not be a big deal...but for those of us who are older and have older yet parent/parents it can be a big chore.

Thanks again.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Loveskitties, that feature of a power wheelchair is called an attendant control. They are easily placed by wheelchair manufacturers, but there’s an insurance catch- Medicare and most insurers won’t pay for attendant controls and standard controls simultaneously.  This comes up a lot, there are many people who can drive their own chairs in most circumstances but need an attendant control for such things as getting on and off buses or other transport vehicles. In fact the circumstances for someone needing a power wheelchair with attendant control only are pretty rare-if someone is too disabled to drive their own chair, they can usually get by with a manual wheelchair that an attendant can push. The circumstances you’re describing where he can’t drive a chair but you can’t push it might qualify for attendant control only. But that then raises the question of whether you can physically manage to get him in and out of said chair.

If you want insurance coverage for any of this, you should ask for a wheelchair/seating evaluation by a qualified physical therapist at a rehab center. Hope that helps, I review wheelchair requests for our state Medicaid program all the time.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Thanks M1.

Not too concerned about insurance coverage.

Just exploring options for my dad.  He has the upper body strength to propel a manual wheelchair but not the mental ability as to how to guide it.  As of now he could get himself into the chair.

He is still able to walk with a cane...doesn't do well with walker.  Biggest concern about his mobility is falls.

Thanks again the info was very helpful.

• newbloomer
    newbloomer Member Posts: 15
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments

this is what i got for my husband.  it's very easy to maneuver for the caregiver. we took it to football, basketball and baseball games.  I paid 1600.  he was only able to use it for one season. he is now in memory care. 

https://www.goldentech.com/power-wheelchairs/compact-consumer-power-chairs/literider-envy/

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Another possible option to maybe save a few bucks. Try Goodwill, Salvation Army, or something like that for a used wheelchair. I picked one up for about $30.00, and although it's an older one, it is like new. Then maybe you can have it retrofitted to make it what you want.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more