Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Mom asked for help

My mom was having a rough evening  tonight pacing and holding her baby doll. I was watching her pace for a couple hours  she had been.medicated as usual but was just restless. I heard her softly crying in her room so I went in there to check on her. She looks at and says" I've forgotten  so much of everything, please help.me. I want to do things  right". My mom is from Italy, about 5 feet tall and speaks broken English.  My heart broke for her, my mother is not an emotional  cry type of person. This is a side I have not seen and I've been caring for her for 5 plus years in my home. I reassured her that I was here to help her with everything and that she was doing a wonderful  job of taking care of her baby.  I feel.awful  just awful.

Comments

• Tfreedz
    Tfreedz Member Posts: 138
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    Neverends, that had to be so heartbreaking to hear your mom say that! I think you did the very best thing which was to give her the assurance that you were there to help her and the commendation that she was doing a great job. You are and have been doing an incredible job with your mom and even though you may not get appreciation from her, know that you are appreciated! This is hard, tough work being a caregiver as you know. Stay strong, knowing that your love,warmth and kind words were exactly what your mom needed.
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Wow, what a terrible time for you and her both. As difficult as it is to deal with someone who doesn't realize what's going on, it's equally difficult in another way to have them understand what is happening to them.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I'm sorry you had to hear that. But rest assured that the way you handled it was perfect!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more