Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Getting confused with towels

DH with mild dementia used my towel. I put out two sets of towels, one yellow and one dark peach, second day I noticed my towel was wet before I had shower. I changed both sets of towels. I wonder if anyone else had this issue. 

I wonder if I should write a initial on the towels?

Any ideas?

Comments

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 365
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    Initials probably won't help, but you can try. And this is not unusual and it will probably get worse with progression of the disease.  I started keeping my bath towel outside of the bathroom when I found my husband mopping up the floor with my bath towel. ..he was mid stage at the time.
  • Whyzit
    Whyzit Member Posts: 156
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I would suggest keeping your towel in a separate location and only take it into the bathroom when you will be using it. Replace hand towels with paper toweling. Unfortunately as time goes on everything in view is for DH to use.
  • Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Sunshine:  you are expecting your loved one to behave rationally. This is your biggest hurdle to get over. Please Google: Understanding the dementia experience. 

From previous posts I also surmise that you are looking for a cure. I am so sorry, but currently there is no treatment for the dementias that will make any difference on the outcome. 

This is the most difficult role any of us have played. 

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    The time may come when towels will not be the only thing of concern. Before my MIL passed, she lived with us. I caught her brushing her hair with my toothbrush. Just about nothing is out of the question.
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    We don’t have separate towels at our house. But I can understand that you no longer know what your spouse uses the towel for and want your own.   Suggest you keep your towels put away and only get it out when you use it.  Then hide it behind the door until it dries.
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I have to agree with others about keeping your towel in a different spot. DH uses any towel that's hanging to wipe up just about anything. Somehow I got used to this (!) and make sure there are other towels in easy reach instead of mine.

And I do a lot of laundry.

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    We have towels monogrammed with our first names, to no benefit. I keep any towel (or anything, for that matter) “hidden” so he won’t use it. It is easy to hide things from him; just make sure they are not “ front and center” and they are invisible to him. Save yourself and your loved one some aggravation.
  • Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    My DH’s habits and routines are breaking down as the disease progresses. He is probably late mild, sliding into moderate. Last week when I finally got him to shower, he came out and asked me for a bath towel. He uses the master bath and I use the guest bath. I went into the master bathroom and saw he had put his bath towel on the floor as a rug. I have no idea what he was thinking. I ended up putting the towel he had put on the floor into the laundry and gave him another bath towel. If he can’t distinguish between a towel and a rug, he wouldn’t be able to tell my towels from his.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more