Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Privates

Whyzit
Whyzit Member Posts: 156
Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes
DH complained his privates we’re getting wet in the toilet bowl when he was sitting on the commode.. I suspected he had lifted both the lid and seat up and his privates then dangled in the water. So I ordered a 3” high raised toilet seat. No more complaints from DH because if he still raises both the lid and seat, he is at least 3” higher and his privates are not dangling in the water. The only problem for me now is that my feet are now dangling, no longer planted on the floor. Lol

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    But DH is happy.
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    It's funny you mention this. Our toilet is a pretty old one, and it's low. I was considering getting something to make the seat a little higher, and make it easier for DH to sit. He hasn't gotten wet yet, but when sitting down he gets about an inch off the seat and then begins to get scared there's nothing under him and stands back up. Then there's no getting him to sit down until he circles the house a few more times and decides he needs to go again.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    We replaced older toilets with new, higher ones to make it easier for DW to both sit and stand up.
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    I had knee replacement surgery planned ( now cancelled), but I was told to get a high toilet seat/ handrail combination for help standing  up.  Maybe that would be useful, and give your loved ones peace of  mind.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    QBC as a veteran of both hip and knee replacements, you can take the bucket out of a bedside commode and just use the seat (complete with helpful armrests) at adjustable height over your commode. Works great. What it lacks would be side protection in case a pwd had trouble aiming however...
  • Camoruso
    Camoruso Member Posts: 14
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments
    I live in Albuquerque, NM. When I went looking for senior day care possibilities I started with a city run center. I expected to be private pay, (we don't qualify for medicaid) but the director said there was also funding from a grant through the city. Long story short, we ended up with a case manager, 2 days /wk of day care, meal delivery the other 3 days/wk and they sent someone out to install a new riser toilet seat with safety bars on each side.  This all comes from an Office of Senior Affairs. I didn't know we even had such a thing. I believe they also provide other things such as shower seats and walkers. Check what might be available in your area. The goal is to keep seniors in their own homes as long as possible.
  • ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Whyzit, you just gave me a really sneaky idea of how to get my shower- and bath-refusing DH to immerse a bit of skin at least momentarily.  A quick toilet dip would be cheaper than a bidet, but I’m sure the cold water would be a shock!

We have a low, old toilet too and I posted a while back that the base kept getting loose somehow and tiles (plus subfloor) were getting destabilized and damaged. Like M1 said, a perfect solution was the bedside commode. It works great, placed over our existing toilet to raise the height and stop the leaning/rocking I discovered DH was doing to try & wipe. 

The commode frame, seat & side rails (without the bucket) works great and ours came with a “shield” alternative to the bucket (just like the bucket but with no bottom), that prevents aiming  mishaps under or through the gap between the bedside commode seat and the toilet rim. I hope that description makes sense. It works really well for us. He can sit and stand up better with that hospice hack (our NP suggested and helped adjust the height & set it up). And no dangling feet for me lol

• mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

This made my morning

Michele

• Josie in Podunk
    Josie in Podunk Member Posts: 87
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

We added a raised toilet when remodeling our master bath.  He is 6’ and I am 5’.  I felt like a school child in a too big desk so I bought a low stool that tucks away under a shelf so as not to be a trip hazard for him.  Now we are both happy.

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 453
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    Bedside commodes can slide over a toilet with seat raised if you remove the bucket underneath the bedside commode. The commode also provides arm rests which ease getting up and down. The commode can also be used as a shower chair, if there's room.
  • Farm Gal
    Farm Gal Member Posts: 69
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments
    What a wonderful idea about the bedside commode.  Ours has a shield too!  My husband is a rocker and wiggler on the stool and  I have been wondering if some day he would knock it off and he would be sitting on the floor with a toilet broken. I'm going to get it out tomorrow!  Thanks so much!
  • Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    My wife has been using a bedside toilet for 9 years. She has the one next to the bed and another one over the toilet she uses. The one by the bed has dropdown arms to make for an easier transfer to the bed.
  • Kevcoy
    Kevcoy Member Posts: 129
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Camoruso, I too live in Albuquerque and want to thank you for your information about the Office of Senior Affairs.  I am going to put that right on top of  my must do list.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more