Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Winning the shower battle

My husband has always taken a shower at night. For the past four or five months he has fought me. I only wanted him to take one every three days. I finally realized he is tired at night and wants to go to bed. Now I say at 4:30 that I am going to start dinner so why doesn’t he take a shower. He has usually been watching TV and is bored so he willingly takes one. I change out all his clothes and mark the day on the white board. I only hope this keeps up for awhile. He is able to shower without help so it really does let me start dinner.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Good strategy, glad it's working! Every little bit helps. Same thing has only recently started here, she hates showering in the winter but can still do it if encouraged and I also find that before dinner is the best time.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Excellent win!!! Gig and M1 I hope the before dinner showers continue!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    When people are sleepy, and wanting to go to bed, that's something that's easy to miss when they are not co-operative. Almost every night it was a fight to get my wife to change incontinence underwear before going to bed because she just wanted to go to bed. But for the last week or so we're finding out that it's much easier to get her to do it before she gets sleepy. Once again that's my daughter's idea. Don't know what I'd do without her.
  • Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Gig Harbor, kudos on your detective work and solution!

After our trip to a hot springs, I saw that my husband needed significant help getting dressed. That could be why he sleeps 8n his clothes and bathes only after a confrontation. Now I need to figure out how to make it easier for him to accept my help.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Gig Harbor, that’s great work on your part! I’ve noticed that if I go turn the water on in the shower around 3:30-4 and tell my husband I’m getting the bathroom warm for him he will agree. I do have to help him get his clothes off, and lay out clean ones. While he’s showering I put his clothes in the washer so he can’t try to put the same clothes back on! He wraps the towel around himself but can’t use it to dry himself. Getting him in the shower is great, but getting him dressed is a job!
  • Sherri Neal
    Sherri Neal Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

My mother refuses to take a bath - says she already took one that day. My stepdad argues with her every time is Bath Day. He's tried running the bath for her and even saying he's going in to take his own shower. It always ends in a fight. Any suggestions?

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited August 2023

Teepa Snow is a good resource on You tube for specific issues. So is Dementia Careblazers. Just put their name in and “bathing” after and you’ll get some good advice and a better understanding too.

Again, friendly suggestion to start a new thread. This one was started in Jan 2022. Really great that you’re looking around at previous threads too. Hope it’s been helpful.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Agree on Teepa Snow and Careblazers. It might also help for them to take a shower together. You just have to make everything fast, then get out of the shower.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Sherri - you may do better than I did with this one, but DH and dementia won this battle at our house. I had to find a way to keep him clean without traditional baths or showers and it has worked out just fine for over 2 years.

Our visiting nurses and home health aides can confirm that he is clean, smells good, no skin breakdown, etc. So, I would say...don't sweat the small stuff...and believe it or not, getting your DH to shower (or not) in the grand scheme of what dementia caregiving throws at us... is small stuff if you can reframe it in your mind that at some point, he and you just may need a better alternative to getting clean.

Here is my post from a while back when we were where you are. Lots of great ideas from forum mates as always. Good luck to you!

DH will not bathe or shower — ALZConnected

• Howaboutnow
    Howaboutnow Member Posts: 133
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

”Cheers!” To finding a good strategy for both of you!

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My wife wears the same clothes day in and day out. I've bought matching pairs of jeans and shirts so I can wash one set while she wears the other. I can't however just say "let's change clothes!" she'll resist and get emotional. I have to wait until there is an "accident" then I can change her out. Sometimes I can start small such as "let's change your socks and while we're at it lets change out your underwear to. . . we'll put the same clothes back on, I promise" Then I can replace all of her clothes with minimal drama.

Getting her to shower is difficult so I only do it twice a month but I try to sponge bathe her in between. That's less extreme for her than getting in the shower. If I need to wash her hair then that's a whole other battle in itself.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more