Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Rivers of Urine at Night

Hospice has been incredibly helpful. DH now has a hospital bed and it is so much easier getting him into and out of bed.

DH's night time incontinence has increased. DH used to wake me a couple of times a night to go to the bathroom. When he woke me last night, he and his bed linens were soaking wet. I changed the wet linens and got DH in dry clothes, and back into bed. Then a couple hours later, the same thing. It hadn't dawned on me to layer the hospital bed. I will try that tonight.

Ed, if you wouldn't mind sharing the name of the night time briefs that you have had success with, I would appreciate it. Its amazing the amount of urine this man is generating.

All other suggestions are welcome.

God bless you all. 

Comments

• Cynbar
    Cynbar Member Posts: 539
    500 Comments Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    There are washable pads, in a variety of sizes, that you can find on Amazon or other places. They have been a lifesaver for us, often that is the only thing that needs to be changed after an accident. Disposable paper ones are also available but those didn't work for us, they moved around and were never in the right place at the right time. The washable ones are also sturdy enough that you can use them to reposition him in the bed, when he gets weaker ---- you use them to boost him up.
  • Tfreedz
    Tfreedz Member Posts: 138
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    Sorry no suggestions for you but just worried about how exhausted you must be! I hope you are able to take a few naps during the day to catch up on sleep. This is how caregivers get run down and their health suffers. You are doing an incredible job taking care of your LO!!! Please consider someone coming in besides hospice to give you a little relief, I know it is hard to do especially with Covid but if possible try to get some help.
  • Lills
    Lills Member Posts: 156
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions

LT, Sorry, my response will be of zero help to you, BUT, I can commiserate with you!  DH used to wake up drenched; even the top of his undershirt was wet!  I tried everything, including buying very expensive briefs, withholding liquids after 5:00 p.m., layering pads (both cloth and paper. I used to use frog tape to keep the paper pad in place  

Yes, it was an amazing amount of urine and an amazing amount of laundry!  Good luck and hope you find the magic of keeping your DH dry!  Wish I could have!

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I believe this might be what you are looking for as I bookmarked it from the thread:

https://www.parentgiving.com/shop/dry-direct-ultimate-protective-underwear-for-adults-9300/p/?onsite=ddspecial

• Emily 123
    Emily 123 Member Posts: 747
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions

LT,

If he's drinking fluids before bedtime can you taper his intake down?  If he's on any meds that act as a diuretic, consider adjusting the timing?

• tcrosse
    tcrosse Member Posts: 44
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments
    I was wondering how my petite DW could generate so much urine, but then concluded that it only seemed like a lot because it was not where it was supposed to go, in the toilet. When it's in her pants, in the bed, or on the floor, a little goes a very long way.
  • Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I use Abri Flex Premium for this purpose.  It holds a lot!

• Neverends
    Neverends Member Posts: 72
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    Texas catheter maybe. I don't know how mobile or if he would pull if off. We used them all the time where I worked especially for heavy wetters.
  • 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    loveskitties wrote:

I believe this might be what you are looking for as I bookmarked it from the thread:

https://www.parentgiving.com/shop/dry-direct-ultimate-protective-underwear-for-adults-9300/p/?onsite=ddspecial

I use those for my wife, they work well, but not always.  My wife wears at shirt to bed and if I forget to make sure it isn't tucked in to the underwear, it's guaranteed to leak.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Lady, these are the best I've found. https://www.parentgiving.com/shop/dry-direct-ultimate-protective-underwear-for-adults-9300/p/?onsite=ddspecial  They also make a product that is almost exactly the same, visually. It is called "Super overnight" instead of "Ultimate". My wife has started sleeping longer, 10 - 12 hours a night, and she is wetting the bed more often now. I ordered a large supply of the "Super overnight", but I shouldn't have. The waist on the ultimate rides higher on the stomach, while the overnight rides much lower. They are not working as well as the ultimate for us. I called just to give them feedback, and they surprisingly sent me a pack of 18 ultimates free of charge! I was not expecting that. The lady I spoke with said they recommend people to buy samples before buying a large quantity, because people are different. You can order samples for $1.99, and that's what I would recommend. The AbriFlex is also a good product, and it might be worth it to order samples of different products to see which one is best for you. I hope you find something that works. Both brands hold a lot of water. Dry direct also has extra pads you can order. Not sure about AbriFlex.
  • tcrosse
    tcrosse Member Posts: 44
    The briefs DW uses hold a lot of liquid, but when the bowels move all bets are off.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Lady Tex, if the briefs don’t work out, do you think hospice might recommend something they have used that would work? Just throwing out ideas. Hope the briefs work for you. 

• JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments
    Hospice supplies disposable briefs or diaper-style (which have better capacity), wipes, bed pads, etc.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Might an external catheter help for overnight?

Iris

• DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    Medications like Aricept which increase acetylcholine can cause nocturia. If your DH takes these types of medications it could be the cause of nighttime urination.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Thinking of you this morning and sending you both His peace.
  • newbloomer
    newbloomer Member Posts: 15
    Tena and Prevail products worked for my DH. hardly ever had to change bed linens when using them. he is a side sleeper so they made a big difference in the fit. also used the pads that are washable just in case.  hope this helps.
  • ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

We use the diaper version, and a pull-up over that. But DH still gets up 1-2 times at night and I change the diaper if it’s even half full (plus I wet wipe him every time since he won’t allow showers or baths). Lately it’s been pretty full after just 4-5 hours so, I don’t know if the double briefs strategy would prevent leaks if he slept 10 hours straight at night.

One advantage though, is easy access to change the tabbed incontinence undies (diaper style) that’s next to his body without the struggle and confusion (or sometimes just plain obstinance) of getting one pants leg off and back on without spreading wetness or worse. I can get the wet brief one off & a dry one back on while he’s seated on the toilet. The outer one is still on him regardless, for extra protection. I saw the tip on a old thread when searching for ideas. 

FYI, DH has a noticeable increase in the amount of urine with a silent UTI. Full briefs every few hours and still lots of peeing in the toilet too. May be worth it to check. 

I hope you get a solution soon and that maybe your hospice aide can help with the laundry and padding/layering the bed. I have not been too good about getting our CNA’s help with much except keeping eyes on DH (1-2 hours a week) so I can run out for meds or mail. They are there (and get paid)  to help us and I appreciate their skills plus presence!

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Thanks everyone.

I have started using a washable under pad in the bed. I also ordered the Dry Direct Ultimate Underwear yesterday. I hope they do the trick. The medline disposable briefs that hospice provides look flimsy. They gap around his legs. I am not optimistic so I have an auto delivery order of the Tena briefs by the case. 

The aid explained how the washable underpads are also good for positioning DH. I keep a similar product in his recliner which has aided in keeping DH's butt in the chair. Sometimes he slides down in the seat. He leans far to the left other times. He is annoyed with me when I try to adjust him. 

This morning, DH did not sit all the way back in his transport chair. He was annoyed when I tried to adjust him, so I decided he was seated well enough. But shortly there after, DH leaned forward and ended up on the floor. Hence another lift assist. As instructed, I called hospice 1st. But the nurse was over 30 miles away. I decided to call the fire department for a lift assist.

Today, I am sad and bitchy and feeling sorry for myself. Its not a fun place to be. I knew I was tired, so I asked my sister to pick up and deliver breakfast to us. I should have been more specific about when I wanted it as she had a leisure breakfast with her SO first. It took her an hour and a half to get here. She only lives 7 minutes away.

DH's adult son was supposed to be here at noon yesterday for a visit. He called at 2 pm and stated he would be here at noon today. He lives 2 hours away. He called at 11:30 am and stated that he was just now leaving Austin.

Yes, this has turned into a VENT. I feel so alone. I feel like it is me against the world. I HATE this disease.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Lady T, with all that going on you deserve several vents! You have been through sooo much! I hope and pray you get some rest soon! Thinking of you! Hugs to you! 

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

(((Lady T))) - sending hugs and I pray tomorrow is a better day for you. If you aren’t due for a series of vents to blow off steam right now, I don’t know who is.

Lest I add to your frustration, please allow me to retract my enthusiastic advice (above) about how I keep my DH dry (doubling up on the incontinence briefs). It has — make that had —been working like a charm for the last month or so. 

Yes well, you are not alone in having a pissy day with unexpected unpleasantness, I am sorry to say. Long story short, I just spent the last 2 hours on urine mitigation duty: sponge bathing every inch of him after removing the layers of urine-soaked clothes. Only his socks escaped the mishap, but after re-dressing him then I  had to scrub upholstery since this waterfall overflowed while he was sitting on the cloth sofa —also for the first time in weeks. Of course. And neither one of us has any idea where the underpad that is ALWAYS there, disappeared to (grrr)!)  

What is going on???!!! Oh— right— dementia. Hateful, horrible, terrible disease. I won’t hijack your thread. It sure does seem like you are due for some wins. In the meantime, if misery loves company I am right there with you my friend. Keep the faith. Some days it’s all we have. 

• David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    As usual, Lady T, my hat’s off to you!!  You care for your DH so well, through all the worst of this terrible disease. I wish I could help in some way. There’s lots of good practical advice in the other responses, and I have not hing to add. What I found most helpful with my wife was limiting her liquid intake in he evening, and getting her to the toilet as soon as she woke up.
  • Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I had similar problems with my husband. Now they are gone. I solved the problem by going overboard on pads, mats, diapers, and other incontinence products. To be more specific, I place one washable incontinence pad underneath a waterproof-but-soft mattress cover. On top of a regular sheet I place two washable incontinence pads. Then I place any super-absorbency pad inside ny husband’s pull-up disposable underwear, also super-absorbency.

This sounds ludicrous but it works. The worst that has happened is that the washable pad on top of the sheet gets wet. The sheet and mattress cover stay dry. In the morning, when my husband gets up, his disposable underwear (with pad inside) hang down almost to his knees. They are THAT wet but they go into the garbage and I no longer have to change linens at 3 a.m.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more