Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

A bit of a scare

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
Last night, a little after 6 PM, DW fell in the dining room. 75% of the time I'm holding her hand when she walks because she is not particularly great on her feet. I did not do that last night, and I think she tripped over the dog, but not sure. She hit her head on a chair or the table, and was unconscious for maybe 5 minutes or so. I called an ambulance, and they took her to the hospital. When I got to her bedside, she had a black eye and an abrasion next to her eyebrow, but she was wide awake. After a CT scan, she was released because everything looked normal. This morning the black eye is gone! And there is no headache. Close call for sure.

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    happy face emoji...
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ed, you must have been frantic!  Falls are so scary and so often unavoidable.  Before placement, DH fell several times.  I was always within 5 feet of him; he would get his feet tangled up, or trip over something and down he went, almost in slow motion.  Getting him on his feet was the hard part; he would panic and couldn’t figure out how to maneuver his arms and legs to stand back up.  Usually, I could wait him out and once calm, I could help him up.  Occasionally, a family member was enlisted to help. He never required medical attention, but a day or so later, I would discover a nasty abrasion on an arm or knee. One of my greatest fears was an incident like yours with DW; I worried that he wouldn’t cooperate with medical personnel because he couldn’t seem to process what was told to him.  I’m glad DW is on the mend and hope you are calm as well.
  • Kibbee
    Kibbee Member Posts: 229
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions
    Of all the things I have to deal with as a caregiver, falls are the most frightening and the most frustrating.  Frightening because of the risk of injury to DH (and myself), and the challenge of assisting him to get back up on his feet or into his bed/wheelchair.  And also frightening because each fall leaves me anxious about the future, wondering how long I will be able to take care of a person who cannot walk safely and cannot transfer from bed to chair to toilet without assistance.  The falls are also frustrating because they may have been avoided if only DH had enough functional cognition to  understand and appropriately act on the knowledge that he needs assistance to walk and should not attempt it on his own.
  • penelope45
    penelope45 Member Posts: 1
    Second Anniversary First Comment

I have been following this forum for quite a while, but this is the first time i have posted.  Regarding falls.  If my DH falls and there is no injury from the fall, I can call the NON emergency number at the fire dept and they will come and pick DH up for me.  I literally tell them my husband has fallen and can't get up.

This service is available in my small town, but i believe it is available everywhere in Arizona.   The firemen are always kind and polite.  After the first time it happened they remembered DH's name and behaviors, so i didn't have to explain.  They also check him for injuries.  You might check and see if the same resource is available to you.  A wonderful tool to have in the crazy world of care giving.    

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    That must  been very frightening and stressful.  I’m sure you are also keeping a  close eye for the next few days in case something hidden pops up.
  • Ed1937
    Penelope, welcome to the forum. If you've been reading it for a while, you probably know it is an excellent resource for all of us. And thanks for the post. It's always good to check to see what services are available in our home towns.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    So sorry you both had to go through that Ed.  Falls are a big concern here too, you just can't prevent all of them.  Glad things are okay and hope they stay that way....
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I am sure that was very scary for you both. I am glad your DH is rebounding quickly. I am puzzled at the black eye disappearing the next day. That seems very fast.

DH fell again yesterday. Its scary and frustrating. Now I am not capable of getting him up. The FD came when called for a lift assist.

DH is fine, but he was sore for the rest of the day.

• Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments

Ed, I'm glad DW is OK. Falls are scary . I also wonder how a black eye disappears overnight??

Funny, not funny, story. Our son is a firefighter/paramedic. They get a lot of calls for lift assist. They also get paramedic students from the local college who observe or ride along as part of their training. He tells them a big part of the job is that "we move people".  But seriously, they want to help, so don't hesitate to call them.

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

((Dear Ed))))

I am so sorry for what you must have gone through last night. Please take care of yourself and get as much rest as you can. Please keep us updated on how your DW is doing. Hugs Zetta 

• Ed1937

Yes, that black eye disappearing is puzzling. When I saw my wife's eye this morning, I thought maybe I didn't really see a black eye, but thought it might have been a shadow or something. My daughter was with us at the hospital, so I asked her if she noticed the black eye last night. She did. When I told her it was gone, she couldn't believe it.

DW acts like nothing at all happened. She didn't remember falling, but did remember being in the hospital.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Sorry, Ed, that you had that scary experience.  Glad it turned out better than it might have.  

My DW is not steady on her feet, and falls are an ongoing worry.  The last time she fell was, fortunately, several years ago now but she fractured several ribs at the time.  Am as vigilant as possible to be by her side to assist her…but no one can be 100%….

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Ed, so glad your wife is okay! I’m sure it scared the heck out of you. Like most others, that black eye healing over night is truly a miracle. Glad you guys are safe. 

• billS
    billS Member Posts: 180
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments
    Oh Ed the fact that she lost conciousness is really alarming. I hope that event did not accelerrate her decline.
  • Kevcoy
    Kevcoy Member Posts: 129
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Very scary indeed.  Not only do we have to worry about our loved ones falling but as we get older a falling accident to any of us can be awful.  I tripped on a parking curb a couple weeks ago and went down to the ground.  Luckily I wasn't hurt but I needed help getting up.  I had a horrific fall three years ago and fractured my tibial plateau and was laid up in a brace for nearly 10 weeks.  That was before DH was really bad and he could cook and drive me around.  Now I wonder what would happen.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Ed, I am so sorry; how frightening that must have been.   A loss of concsciouness - I can only imagine how concerning.  So glad your dear wife is doing so much better.  I guess that you now have more gray hairs than ever.  Whew!

It sounds as though she is not accepting of a walker?   She has her Ed, and she may see you as her guardian angel most of the time and you may be "it" for all and sundry as her security.

Take good care of you too, Ed; she is so blessed to have you by her side.

J.

• caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Ed, falls are so scary.  So glad she is ok.  And yes the black eye is strange!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more