Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH ordered a American Express platinum card

I hid some of his cards and platinum card, he hasn’t realized so far. I am afraid to confront him.

I think there is a hefty fee of $ 700. 

How do I cancel the card so we are not charged the fee!

Card is in his name 

Last time when he got a gold card, I tried to cancel with AExp but they wouldn’t, told them about him having dementia, we had to pay $150. Fee.

I know he doesn’t charge or issue checks very often.

I am having sleepless nights, not knowing what to do.

I have the durable power of attorney.

He can can angry and violent if he knows I am sneaking into his finances!

It’s his money, he can do what he likes, he says!

Comments

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 570
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes
    Call the company + tell them you have DPOA + he has dementia. Send them a copy of DPOA if they require it.     I would be diverting all the mail if I were you + I would cut the card up + dispose of it + play dumb (to him) ‘I have not seen it…I have no idea’
    The stage
    where they think there is nothing wrong but can handle everything is the hardest, IMO + can be the most dangerous to your finances. 
    Diverting mail to a P.o. box or other address so he doesn’t even see it sometimes is the best tactic to reduce opportunities cause financial havoc
  • JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions
    It won’t help for this time, but for the future, can you freeze his credit? I went online and froze DH’s credit with the three main credit bureaus last year. I think that should stop him from opening new cards.
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    I think you need to visit a lawyer and see what you can do to freeze his credit, separate your finances etc, restrict his access to joint back accounts etc.   I would also change your router password if you have one so that his computer cannot connect to the internet.  You cannot continue with this.  I know you are afraid of him but you have to prevent this
  • DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    If you have DPOA you can cancel the cards.
  • sunshine5
    sunshine5 Member Posts: 148
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

Further to my last post, DH ordered a American Express platinum card, I did search all on line bank statements since the card was issued in September, 21, the cards expiration September, 26. I decided to just destroy the card, the card is not signed, May be not activated, he may have canceled the card, I don’t see any fees being charged, $500-$700. The card is not on his American Express app either!

I tried to cut up the card but can’t, its too hard to cut.

I don’t have a shredder, how do I destroy the card. Once I do that, I can sleep in peace and will try not to ask him any questions about this card. He hasn’t missed it so far!

I don’t think putting a label on and crossing with felt tip is a good idea!

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Sunshine5,

Do you have 2 pair of pliers?  If so, grip one side with each and bend it back and forth until it breaks.

Does the card have a chip area?  If so and you have a pair of wire cutters you could cut out the chip.  You should also try to remove the number code on the front right side which is what on-line purchases ask you to enter as the security code.

If none of this works for you, you might try an office supply store...some of them will do shredding for a price.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • King Boo
    King Boo Member Posts: 302
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Likes

Freeze his credit scores with Experan, Equifax and Transunion.

This will prevent any additional credit cards or loans from being issued to him.

• sunshine5
    sunshine5 Member Posts: 148
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

The problem is, I don’t see the fee on any bank statements ( i do all in line banking for us).

How do I ask him if he canceled the platinum card? He doesn’t know I have the card & he has not missed it!

Should I call American Express? It seems he got a gold card in November, platinum was issued in September, 21.

Should I hide the card and not talk about it?

It’s worrying me so the point of upset stomach.

Should I have the card shredded since the card has a magnet chip and I can’t seem to cut it!

I am getting to be a Mrs Sherlock Holmes!

Thanks to the person for suggesting pliers/ cutters etc, I don’t have  would rather not involve a third party in shredding!

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

The fees for the American Express cards will not show up on your bank statement as an auto withdrawal...or at least mine didn't.

The fee shows up on the American Express statement itself as payment due.

Does he have an email account?  If so he could have opted for "paperless" statement and they will then go to the email he gave them.

Even if the card is not active, you need to find some way to disassemble the card.  I know it is winter, but do you have a fire pit or an outside BBQ?  If so, put the card in a disposable alum. pie tin and melt it.  I would not suggest doing this inside because of possible toxic fumes.

Another option would be to de-magnetize the card, but that is difficult to do unless you have a really powerful magnet.

Another option would be to take a place the card on a block of wood and beat the heck out of it...lol...might do the chip into submission, but you also have to deal with the magnetic strip on the back.

Might be able to accidentally drop it in the garbage disposal for a spin or two, but can't guarantee it won't harm the disposal.  But most hold up to a few spins of silverware handles...lol.

Edited:  Just learned that AMEX Platinum cards are made of stainless steel!  so some of the options listed above will definately not work.  Mr. Google says to return it to AMEX but not sure how you do that without his signature if you had problem with DPOA with them before.  Perhaps you can just get a bag of Quickcrete, put the card in box, fill with the quickcrete and bury it in the back yard or indoor flower pot....lol

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Unknown By Man
    Unknown By Man Member Posts: 98
    10 Comments First Anniversary

Amex generally does not charge the fee for the first year, also Amex support is extremely helpful and understanding. Call the number on the back of the card and explain the situation and they will instruct on as to what to do. 

My guess is they will lock the card at the point of the call. My mom made a large purchase using her credit card, and regrettably I was not paying attention and a month passed before I noticed. I spoke with the representative and they closed out my mother's account and even forgave the amount in question. 

Granted now she has no credit card but they were extremely helpful and as long as you can provide the documents they need I am sure they will help you.

• janeymack
    janeymack Member Posts: 55
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Make sure the card is canceled with AMEX and not just destroyed. Since it is valid for several years, there will be a $695 fee charged EACH year.

Another poster mentioned getting a PO Box. I did this years ago and have all bills and financial statements sent to the PO Box so H never sees them.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more