Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Dentures & etc

Hello fellow  caregivers, I’m new here tonight. My husband was diagnosed 4 years ago. His dementia is not Alzheimer’s but is the result of years working as a printmaker with strong solvents, he did not protect himself. As he is no longer exposed I don’t know how far it will progress, but it is not getting better, despite aricept and memantine. 

There is so much to say and learn here, but I will start by asking for your advice about my DH’s dentures. He lost one arch entirely, never to be found, and we had it replaced with a removeable implant type. (Unfortunately can’t afford permanent implants) 

My question is twofold. How to keep him from losing them- we recently had a 4 day loss, very nerve wracking, trips to dentist, searching high & low, as you can picture. 

The other issue is getting him to care for them. They are meant to be soaked overnight, not left in. The dentist stressed to us both that this is very important. Yet when he is dropping off to sleep with them in his mouth and I remind him kindly and tactfully to remove them he gets very angry and snaps at me. I can’t reach into his mouth. 

Any suggestions are very welcome. He is super sensitive to anything he construes as nagging, says he can handle it without reminding, —-oh how I wish that were true. 

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Eeve, welcome to the forum. Sorry you are dealing with this. The problems you are having with his dentures is not uncommon. Some people are able to help their LO without a problem. Many are not. I don't have any constructive suggestions for you, but others might. Just wanted to welcome you.
  • Eeve
    Eeve Member Posts: 6
    Second Anniversary First Comment

Thank you! I found them soaking this morning, so he did it. I find it is always a choice between insisting on certain things and conflict. Pick your battles!

We each have our crosses to bear, with similar and different problems, but this forum is very helpful. I also see that there are many far worse off than I, and my heart goes out to all.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more