Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Which way to go with CELA

Pam BH
Pam BH Member Posts: 195
100 Comments Second Anniversary
Trying to decide which way to go. Crushed, I'm hoping you'll chime in with your opinion and expertise.  An appointment is scheduled for Wednesday with CELA to discuss if eligible for Medicaid, etc. Already have wills, DPOAs, and living wills. Pretty sure we don't qualify but scheduled meeting just to make sure. Yesterday had first visit with social worker who is confident we won't qualify but said we may for VA's Aid and Attendance non-service connected disability pension and gave me contact for help applying. Now not sure if I should keep CELA meeting and save the consultation fee but don't know what other help they might offer.

Comments

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

You are in Virginia  What social worker ?  Which medicaid program  If he needs instituional care you are a community spouse

TMarried (one spouse applying)  Nursing Home or Hospital $2,382 / month for applicant $2,000 for applicant & $130,380 for non-applicant Nursing Home or Hospital

Your house is not an asset and neither is your income for institutional medicaid

When only one spouse of a married couple is applying for institutional Medicaid or a Medicaid waiver, only the income of the applicant is counted. Said another way, the income of the non-applicant spouse is disregarded. However, the same does not hold true for a married couple with one spouse applying for Aged Blind or Disabled Medicaid. In this case, the income of both spouses counts towards the income limit, even if only one spouse is an applicant. .

That is what a lawyer is for

if you have more than $260,000 in cash assets you may need to spend down but if you have that kind of money the consultation fee is trivial

• JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments

Pam,

There are TWO different routes to explore with the VA:

1. EVERY vet can qualify as a 'Catastrophically Disabled Veteran' once their dementia symptoms get to stage 6 or 7.  This is regardless of income or war time service. This requires becoming classified as PRIORITY GROUP 4 in the VA system.  See the link to the thread below for details.  Nursing care is available for $98/day or less.
    2. Aid & Attendance (A&A) requires war time service and has asset limits and income limits.  This is the program that is familiar to service officers who will assist you in your application.  They are not typically familiar with Priority Group 4 or the benefits available.

https://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?g=posts&t=2147536925

• Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Crushed, thank you.  The social worker was the result of doctor approving Sentara Home Health for PT, OT for DH and social worker reviewing community support options for his caregiver (me). DH is 90 with mixed dementia (AZ and VaD) with behavior disturbance. My hope is to care for him at home and am looking for in-home care assistance. Of course, I know that Plan B may have to kick in if either he worsens to the point institutional care would be better for him or if I'm unable to be his caregiver, and Medicaid would be important then.  He does not have over $260,000 in cash assets.  His federal annuity gross monthly is approximately 3200 monthly and 2500 net.

JJAz, thank you also.  As I mentioned the VA Aid & Attendance would be very useful for in-home care which is what my Plan A is. He did serve during the Korean War (or Conflict). He's had no contact with the military (or the VA) since his military service was over in the '50s.

DH has had a very full week of falls, delusions, and confusion and my mind is muddled and distracted so your help and this forum is priceless

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Ive given this speech a dozen times here

you are looking for  MEDICAID WAIVER FOR HOME AND COMMUNITY SERVICES

https://www.vda.virginia.gov/homecbs.htm

There is a limited number of such slots and they only go to people who would otherwise  be in nursing homes.

https://www.thearcofva.org/ccc-plus-waiver

So if they think you are a dedicated wife who will sacrifice herself endlessly and end up in poverty YOU WILL GET NOTHING   zero zip nada 

you will be  what they call a "pushover"  

But if your acting skills are good and you can play the wicked witch of the west  who wants him placed in a nursing home NOW  Amazingly the home health care money can flow. 

If they KNOW they will have to pay for nursing home care  you get moneoy7

If you are a pushover you get nothing  

Talk to your lawyer Everyone else will lie to you. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more