Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

American Express platinum card problem solved

Thanks to all your input

It took guts to call AExp & finally talked to my DH.

He had canceled the card 

So no more wrecking my brain how to dispose of the card, the card was canceled so account is inactive! DH assured me he won’t apply for any more cards!

Now I can sleep peacefully!

I tried to cut up the card! Even asked AExp what to

Do with the card, I was told to

Dispose of if! Thanks all! I had been worrying for nothing. Today the Dr told DH to let me Handle the finances since his memory is deteriorating !

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Glad to hear the good news!
  • dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Please still make sure his credit is frozen so he can't open new cards because he isn't going to remember making this agreement to let you handle finances.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    dayn2nite2 wrote:
    Please still make sure his credit is frozen so he can't open new cards because he isn't going to remember making this agreement to let you handle finances.
    Ditto. Glad it worked out so well.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    It's time to take over all the financials and freeze his credit. Vetting a POA with financial institutions and becoming representative payee as needed at SSA can take some time, so you want to do that immediately so you can act as necessary.

PWD live in the moment. For many that means a promise may not have been offered sincerely or even recalled in 5 minutes. 

With my dad, the concern I had was his day-trading. Mom was in denial and truly believed he was fine. She slept well until a crisis forced a diagnosis and I helped her figure out their investments. He's pissed away $350K day-trading. That's money she could have used for his care and potentially for her own at some point. 

HB

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney