Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Sometimes that little ride pays off, even if it doesn't

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
I didn't help with my wife's wanting to go to (somewhere??), but next is what I saw. A guy was making a video of deer eating corn that had been laid out for them. He was between 15 and 20 feet away from them.

Comments

• Ed1937
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    The deer that visit my yard are almost that tame.  I don't feed them intentionally, but they keep my shrubbery pruned, and I can just forget raising home-grown veggies.  The man next door does, but he put in some serious fencing
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

We had some deer come right up to our back porch in the middle of the day! They are so beautiful! And yes very destructive. All our fruit trees are gone and most of my flowers. We did get a fence put up around some of back yard so our little dog can go out and play. It’s strange that she will bark at birds, squirrels and what ever but does not at the deer. She just watches them as if she thinks they are beautiful too! 

Glad you got that wonderful picture! 

• billS
    billS Member Posts: 180
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments

We have loads of deer around here and after decades of having them destroy my garden and orchard I finally increased my fence from 4' to 8'. Now instead of cursing them I can admire them as they feed...OUTSIDE MY FENCE!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Same here Bill, we have tons of deer and the vegetable garden requires an eight foot electrified fence. But interestingly having a dog in the house keeps them from eating the hostas, I guess they smell him. We put corn and salt out for them in the winter. Between the turkeys and the deer it's a beautiful parade.
  • Ed1937
    Four or five years ago a big buck decided to lay down in the flower bed next to our detached garage. I tried to get a few pictures of him (and I did), but I kept slowly getting closer to him, and when I was maybe thirty to forty feet away from him, he stood up for a few seconds, then took off. He had a beautiful huge rack, and he is the only buck I've seen close to the house. Plenty of does, though.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more