Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Mor MIL problems

Kevcoy
Kevcoy Member Posts: 129
Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I've written before about my mean demential mother in law but what happened last night takes the cake.  Ever since she took my DH to the urgent care because she thought that would speed up him getting hernia surgery, I have forbidden her to come into our house.  Last night though when I was in the other room I heard loud banging on the front door.  I told my DH to not answer the door but I was too late and she got in.  I came in the room and kindly asked her to leave but she was in such a rage nothing would stop her.

Her late husband had a Rolex watch we had kept in our small safe.  Shortly after Covid started she said she wanted to get it back.  She kept hounding us about until it we took it out and gave it back to her.  This bit of information has been all but forgotten and she was screaming that I had stolen the watch and sold it for money.  I then turned on my recorder on my cell phone.  Among some of the things she said was, she was going to call the police and have me arrested, she was going to go to the school I substitute at and tell the principal that I am a theif and liar and shoudn't be around children.  She got louder and louder and was swinging her arms around until she got so close to me she hit my head and knocked my glasses off.  I said, "I can't believe you hit me" so it would pick up on my recording.  A few minutes later she grabbed a can of cat food and threw it at me.  It hit my chest and I wasn't hurt but if it hit my head who knows?  I made sure I didn't touch her and thank god DH was pretty level headed and ended getting her out of the house.

I didn't call the police but now am thinking maybe I should have.  When I talked to them this morning they said I could still file a police report.  I just don't want to send her into another frenzy.  We blocked her number from our phones but I'm concerned because this crazy 85 year old lady owns a gun and she is libel to use it.  I'm still shaking 24 hours later.

Comments

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Wow, I’ve heard of mean mother in law’s but this lady takes the cake for sure. I’m glad you were not hurt. Glad you told the police because if she has guns and dementia they definitely need to know that! Be safe! Glad your husband was still able to help us!
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Dealing with crazy is always exhausting. This woman sounds like she is really insane. I am sorry she is part of your life. Her striking you or throwing things at you is beyond the pale. Next time it might be a good idea to call police. She sounds like she should be on medication. I am so sorry you have to deal with this.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I suggest you might consider a restraining order.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I agree with Mayor Ed.  And can you get the gun out of her house?
  • DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    I would file assault charges. Yesterday.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Kevcoy, I also wonder whether a call to adult protective servcies is in order?  Just a thought.  You clearly have grounds for intervention.
  • Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    My goodness! You have really been through it with this lady. Good thinking in recording it and calling the police for advice later. I agree with Ed that a restraining order would be the next step and the recording as well as the phone call might be all you need for evidence. If not, call the police while it's happening if there's a next time, which I hope there's not. If I'm remembering correctly there are other family members that might be of help in getting her evaluated and weapons removed??
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments

I agree a restraining order is a good idea.

Maybe you've mentioned this before, but is she diagnosed? Is she under anyone's care or take meds to help? Does she have a caregiver or someone who can intervene? Yes, get the gun away from her! And beef up your home security so she can't get in.

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I'm not a lawyer, but I think a restraining order won't be issued unless she has committed a crime against you.  That means you need to file a police report and press charges, so the crime she committed is documented.  That's what I would do.  With any luck, she will act out for the police and get a trip to a mental health facility.

Securing your house so your husband can't open the door is a good idea too.

Does your MIL have family other than your husband who can get her some help?  She clearly needs it, preferably before she shoots someone.

• OrganizerBecky
    OrganizerBecky Member Posts: 32
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Please file the charges and let them know about the gun.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more