Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Nutrition

My DW is now refusing to eat and not because she cannot swallow. She is drinking less water, which has always been a mainstay.

I am scared, but gently encouraging by presenting food in different "manners".  For example, I toast a piece of bread, cut it in to 4 sections and put different jams or butter on each. However this also is not working. Nutrition drinks shared to show support are refused.

Visibly, I can see her 71 year old body becoming thinner and her skin becoming less elastic. 

None of her doctors can offer advice and I feel abandoned, when I need advice now. Giving up on her is not an option, but am not going to create anxiety if she won't work with or listen to or be able to help herself. This is dementia.

If anyone has an idea that is novel, I am all ears.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Comrade, sorry I don't have anything for you, but the helpline might give you some good ideas. 800.272.3900
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Orange sherbet/apple sauce with protein powder was a main stay here.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Comrade this is not something I’ve had to deal with yet.  Know others have, so hope they will drop in.  Just a thought, you may have already tried this.  Leave a few small item setting out, for example cheese and crackers.  Don’t offer it, just let it set where she can see it.  Maybe she will nibble on it.  When it is gone replace with something else small.  Know some people get where they just sort of graze all day long.  Don’t forget all we can do is the best we can and that is good enough.
  • Memphisdee
    Memphisdee Member Posts: 64
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    My husband takes boost. Chocolate
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Camrade, my husband likes soft foods but can also manage some others. Favorite foods here are bananas, oatmeal with blueberries mixed in, apples cut in quarters are cored, home made stews with vegetables, beans minced meats and white or sweet potatoes. (Stews are great because a big pot lasts for a couple days and all 3 family members like them.)

Chocolate brownies made from a mix are very popular here and I often use them as a bribe to get DH to finish other foods. This is all new to me as DH went from about a stage 3 to stage mid 6 in about 6 months. 

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    My husband always tells me he’s not hungry and doesn’t want anything to eat. But I have found if I just put a little something on a plate and give it to him while he is watching tv he will start eating it. I don’t think he even knows what he is doing but it gets some food in him.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Comrade
    Comrade Member Posts: 52
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    The helpline is the most successful resource I have found for information, comfort and an open ear.
  • Comrade

What a great idea! I will try, but also figure out how to not tempt our dog.

I love it!

• Comrade

Premature.

I have called Pallitus, who are sending a nurse practitioner for an evaluation and continued advice.

This is scary stuff for both of us, with DW bearing 100% of the load. She is frightened, miserable and of course confused.

In her sleep, I always whisper how much I love her and kiss her forehead.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Comrade glad you found the helpline comforting.  Have heard many on here say that. She is blessed to have such a caring husband.  Each of us here are aware of the stress each of us feels  and the thoughts that trouble each of our minds.  Glad you found this site and hope it helps a little.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more