Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Is this typical?

ElCy
ElCy Member Posts: 151
Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

My DH will talk at length to any stranger. He rolls down the window and stop to speak to neighbors walking dogs and always days the same thing “I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.”

In restaurants he always tell the waiter he wants to be smarter and  taller. He tips cashiers at Cracker Barrel and can talk for ages about anything. He stops every mother and tells them their child is a TV star.

But DH has completely stopped talking to his friends.

Comments

• Lills
    Lills Member Posts: 156
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions

What stage is your DH in?

I may be way off base here...but my DH also used to go up to strangers and tell people I was a German teacher, etc. He was an introvert so it was really out of character for him to be so outgoing.  Fast forward:  He was diagnosed as having Frontotemporal Dementia (FTD).  Yes, he would shy away from his friends too.  I think he was at the stage in which he was aware he didn't remember their names, etc.  Also, he didn't care; his empathy for others was totally lost.    FTD is often confused with Alzheimer's Disease.  Physician's assume it's Alz. 

Two years before my DH was officially diagnosed with FTD, I bought a book from Amazon, "What If It's NOT Alzheimer's".  Some of his behaviors just did not seem like Alz.  

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    ElCy, I think there are certain speech patterns that get played like a broken record.  They are familiar circuits that don't require any thought.  My partner cannot interact in most social situations any more--she finds them confusing and can't follow conversations--but there are few things that get repeated and repeated and repeated.   That's probably what you're seeing.
  • A. Marie
    A. Marie Member Posts: 118
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    What M1 said. Plus which, it's probably easier on him to do this with strangers now, since his friends may be flaking off or may be giving off "You're weird" vibes even if they haven't flaked off. He's doing the best he can with what little he has left, in other words.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    ElCy, if you're worried about that, don't be. If it isn't hurtful, let it go. That's one of the rules for making it through the pits this disease throws at us.
  • SATX
    SATX Member Posts: 14
    First Comment First Anniversary

Yep... same thing here with my DW.  Grocery store strangers, convenience store staff and customers but won't talk to friends when they call or call them.

• piozam13
    piozam13 Member Posts: 72
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments
    DH liked talking to 'strangers' too.   I think it was easier for him - he didn't have to rely on his memory or the past.  He made up answers and stories.  
    I didn't mind it because he seemed to enjoy these chats.  Poor guys - they didn't have to know the truth and his tales didn't hurt.
  • Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My husband had a phase like that. For me it was very hard. He would stop men and say hi like he knew them in Target, out walking , gas station etc. I would have to jump in and say we don’t know this person and try and get us moving again. It was very stressful for me. I tried to explain that people are out exercising or shopping or what ever and they need to go but he always wanted to go with them.  

He had his own catch phrases too. One was when walking the small dog “ he thinks he’s a German Shepard” He told everyone that. The mailman, repair man etc. I think it was a safe phrase which would make people laugh if they saw the 15 pound fluff ball. But then he would be asked what his name was and wouldn’t remember. Sad 

• NylaBlue
    NylaBlue Member Posts: 65
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    My husband used to be very talkative with strangers, using a variety of stock phrases and friendly observations about their children, dogs, jewelry, clothing, the weather. At the same time he was unable to participate in a real conversation with people he knew.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more