Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Cataract surgery(2)

My dw was diagnosed  with a cataract in one eye almost a year ago to the date. I just got the reminder it's time for a checkup. My dw doesn't  want surgery especially involving her eyes.  Lo and behold She started talking about what she needs to get her eye fixed, not knowing it's been one year. She gets crying when we talked about it, I tell her it's a 10 min procedure, I told her several folks from church have had both eyes done. My fear is she is gonna need general anesthesia. She only went under once and it took a while for her to get awake , I don't  think she will be calm This was many years ago. I worry she's gonna get worse from the anesthesia. I want it to be her call, she said she probably wants to get it done, I told her not to stress on it tonight if she still wants to tomorrow  I will get her setup. Has anybody  had any anesthesia issues?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I didn't have a general anesthetic when I had mine done, even with the third surgery to remove pieces of a cataract that shattered and fell into the eye instead of coming out in one piece as planned.  It was a pain, however.  I had to wait weeks for the corrective surgery, and the eye was swollen and sore the whole time.  It felt like a foreign object in the eye, which it was.  

Since your wife has only one cataract, I think I would leave it alone.  She can probably do fine without any intervention.  Cataract surgery means having to ignore the stitches attaching the replacement lens without rubbing the eye, even if all goes well.  I had two friends who were able to drive and shoot flying objects with shotguns with one eye.  

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    I had cataract surgery about 3.5 years ago with very good results. (Not an Alz patient.) They used a local anesthetic with something that made me feel very relaxed but I was aware of what was going on. I had the choice of how much sedation I wanted. How some of these drugs would affect her is something to discuss with her doctors. My bigger concern would be the aftercare. I didn’t have any real pain but there was a schedule of a gazillion eye drops on a schedule, especially the first week. I had a plastic see through covering for the eye which I think I wore for close to a week and had to be very careful not to rub the eye, at night and during the day. I guess it would depend on on much she would understand the aftercare.
  • fayth
    fayth Member Posts: 25
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

My spouse had cataracts, but the neurologist recommended against surgery.  I think his alz was further advanced, though.  The after care would not have been something he could have managed and he was already having trouble understanding what he was seeing.  Would it be worth talking to the neurologist?

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    Anesthesia isn't the issue here. Before and aftercare is rigorous and requires cooperation for a good outcome. 

My BIL (he's a physician with serious cardiac issues) had general anesthesia in a hospital when he had his eyes done, but DH and most of my friends have had Versed IV at a free-standing surgical center.

There are generally a series of drops needed ahead of the surgery and then for about 4 weeks after. I needed a spread sheet to keep them straight as DH had 5 different kinds of drops with different regimens for each week and each eye. 

Depending on where she is in terms of progression and how cooperative/docile she is about medication, following doctor's orders, dealing with blurry vision while it heals, etc I might pass on the procedure. 

The NYT had this interesting piece on the surgery reducing the risk of dementia. 

Cataract Surgery May Reduce Your Dementia Risk - The New York Times (nytimes.com)
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Thanks everyone, I didn't  think the aftercare was more than eyedropper for a week. I'll see if she is going to be more interested in the surgery, if will she remember our conversation from last night. She got kind emotional  so I think it might take. If she forgets about it I am, I hate that she can't see clearly, she can't id most of our cats anymore,  all the same color.
  • JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 453
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    I provided aftercare for my MIL when she had cataract surgery. It was prior to her dementia, but still a struggle.
  • toolbeltexpert
    Every now and then my wife gets something in her eye she always says it is an eye lash and her eye would tear up. Then I thought to get some eye drops which thank God has helped  whatever was wrong.  This has nothing to do with her cataract. But to give her that eye drop you would think  I had a knife in my hand.  Update she  hasn't  remembered our conversation about surgery  I guess I will let it go. She has zero short term. We just a a call from someone from church I had it on speaker. 5 minutes later she doesn't remember  the call.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I needed both eyes done. Being a full time mid stage caregiver I put it off...several years. Then did one eye. My vision was sharper, colors richer and trees had leaves. I put the second one off for years. When done I did not notice much improvement. 

Any way of finding out how "bad" the cataract is? Repair may not make much difference in your wife's daily activities.

• Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    toolbeltexpert wrote:
    Every now and then my wife gets something in her eye she always says it is an eye lash and her eye would tear up. Then I thought to get some eye drops which thank God has helped  whatever was wrong.  This has nothing to do with her cataract. But to give her that eye drop you would think  I had a knife in my hand.  

The sensation of 'something in her eye' could be chronic dry eyes. I have that and use drops a couple times during the day and an eye ointment at night. If that's the case with her, and she lets you, eye drops are a good idea. Get a lubricant type. The ointment is great too, but not sure she'd let you put that in.

• toolbeltexpert
    Marie58 wrote:
    toolbeltexpert wrote:
    Every now and then my wife gets something in her eye she always says it is an eye lash and her eye would tear up. Then I thought to get some eye drops which thank God has helped  whatever was wrong.  This has nothing to do with her cataract. But to give her that eye drop you would think  I had a knife in my hand.  

The sensation of 'something in her eye' could be chronic dry eyes. I have that and use drops a couple times during the day and an eye ointment at night. If that's the case with her, and she lets you, eye drops are a good idea. Get a lubricant type. The ointment is great too, but not sure she'd let you put that in.

Marie 58 That's what I think too. It's amazing the eye lash thing used to happen every day and since I started putting in one 1drop it only happens every couple weeks. So I pay attention when she gets up and says she  has an lash in her eye. Then I have to get her to let me do it.
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    My husband is due to have a cataract removed. I honestly think it will not be a good idea, there is a lot of aftercare and I know he will rub the area and balk at all eye drops. He hates getting the glaucoma drops so am a bit worried about his lack of cooperation on his part. Sometimes, it might be better to leave well enough alone.
  • toolbeltexpert
    Buggsroo wrote:
    My husband is due to have a cataract removed. 
    This is a tough go for you, I will be praying for your DH and the after care. Let us know how it goes. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more