Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

update on omicron/covid

Crushed
Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
This is the best Ive got at this moment
 this is a nasty disease The omicron variant is "living up to " the predictions. 
Many more cases but a lower fatality rate and heavily concentrated among the non vaccinated adults.  The success of vaccination in preventing death has been overwhelming.

It is not Milder it just has a lower rate of lethality
    Reported Cases peaked at 800,000 per day on January 15 
Hospitalizations  peaked at 160,000 on Jan 21  
Deaths have not yet peaked and are currently averaging 2500 per day  
Average Time from hospitalization to death appears to be longer than with delta (based on analysis of states with more complete  data

KIFR the known infection fatality ratio is somewhere around .3 %  or about 1/4 of delta but the number of infections is far more. so the population fatality rate  is on the same level, although among the unvaccinated it is much higher.    
Hospitalization fatality ratio on delay shows that both about doubled
Hospitalization between Dec 29  and Jan 19
Deaths between Jan 2 and Jan 31  
Recent death statistics are not reliable  due to reporting delays
But the death rate is about 2% of hospitalizations  

Comments

• Josie in Podunk
    Josie in Podunk Member Posts: 87
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

This variant has infected direct family, distant family, close and not so close friends like wildfire..both vaxxed and unvaxxed. They have all been incredibly sick, but only one has required hospitalization.  

Handyman and I and the youngest 2 GreatGrands, whose parent were among the very sick, have, thus far, remained virus free…knock wood.  We are fully vaxxed…the littles are not.

This all reminds me very much of the Hong Kong flu when I was a teen back in the 60’s….that one laid me out for 3 weeks and then I coughed like crazy for 6 more beyond that.  Good times…not….and, neither is covid in any of its mutations.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I had what I assume was Omicron, but I wasn't tested. I threw up every hour for about 10 hours, had fever, muscle aches, headache, but never felt nearly as sick as I did with shot #2 and the booster.

It took me 3 days to be back up to working (at home).

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Sandwich - that’s how my brother  in law’s  started.  Luckily he’s completely vaccinated since he has COPD.  He got the antibody treatment and did very well. 

However, we have husband and wife friends in their 70s, who  lost her brother, his brother in law, and his nephew’s fiancées dad in January.  Now the husband  is ill- thinks it’s a cold.  However, they’ve been around extended family members last week, and the brother in law’s funeral occurred on Monday. Not a mask to be seen, and I don’t think he is vaccinated.  She is.  My spouse and I went to the visitation, but did not stand in line or go up to the front  - only briefly visited with our friends and left. We are vaccinated and fine so far. 

The cases counts are going down here.  It’s sad when 9000 a day is ‘going down’.  The death counts are not. 

The snow apocalypse the last couple  days at least kept people at home 

• Daughter of a Marine
    Daughter of a Marine Member Posts: 55
    Seventh Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes
    Yes!  Vax #2 put me down for 2 days - vomiting, fever, achiness, etc.  Told myself it was worth it if protecting me from the full fury of the virus  - time will tell.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more