Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Knowing what you know NOW, what would you have done THEN

2»

Comments

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Rereading this thread. Wow! Great lists and suggestions. As for me, I would have done absolutely nothing differently. We've had a wonderful, loving marriage together. Although COVID snatched away our 25th anniversary trip that had to be cancelled, we've traveled to and seen many beautiful places. We've been blessed in that way. We have more photos than I know what to do with. No regrets. Every decision made was the right decision at the time it was made, including placing DH in memory care.

Now, I'm relearning to live by myself. To survive. To breathe. To be able to see the beauty in everything, no matter how ugly its facade may seem. It's hard to relearn, I know. But it beats wallowing in self-pity.

• Carmen M
    Carmen M Member Posts: 30
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

Dear Otterly and everyone else on this post, my LO has vascular dementia and just reading all the posts, I have learned so much. All great information for certain. Otterly, thank you for being frank, to the point as I am living your scenerio. Just to know that we are not alone is so beneficial. I get disappointed when my LO children or even grandchildren say they will call but don't. Now I realize its my burden to bear even though we are not married but been life partners for 36 plus years, its just me who takes on all the responsibility. I am kinda feeling resentful towards his family (not my children) becos they haven't taken a more active role in this process but I know that will not help the situation.

Trying to be the best I can be but its a lonely road.

Thank you all for sharing.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney