Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Oh the vulgarity!

I am not a prude. My own language is occasionally laced with my favorite four-letter words. However, as my husband’s mind declines, his curses, references to brutal violence, and repetition of these grotesque images is more than I can take at times. I was talking about friends whose political beliefs differ from ours. DH launched into ugly diatribes that began with curses and name calling, then degenerated into vivid descriptions of torture. It was gross and vulgar. I asked him to stop but he repeated it all. Do any of you experience similar outbursts and, if so, how do you deal with them?

Comments

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    With a broken brain inhibitions are among the first things to go. DW it was not vulgar language but blunt statements of facts as they appeared to her.   She told me a variety of things from her upbringing and later that she had clearly buried very deep.  The detail and timing was far too precise for it to be confabulations.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Paris, I'm sorry you have to hear all that. I'm sorry he has to think it and then say it out loud. It sucks.
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My husband has it in for very overweight people. He yells at overweight people walking down the street if he is out on the porch. Now, because it is winter, he will open the door and yell at people in the street. I have tried to stop him a few times but he still does it. He calls me all kinds of names like stupid or lazy bitch, then he tells me he loves me. Talk about conversational whiplash.

I am realizing now it is the diseased brain doing the talking but it is wearying, boring and how I miss having adult conversations. Try to ignore it if you can, I just walk away before I lose my temper. I may love my husband but loathe the dolt he has become.

• extex
    extex Member Posts: 62
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Don’t worry folks, before too many more years there probably won’t be any speech. You get to talk to your LO’s caregiver and your phone.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    EXTEX, you pretty much summed it up. We are all on a journey of loss. Every day, week, month. A new loss , constantly a new loss. I hate this disease.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

On the funny side

few years ago I was sitting in DWs room at MC  and feeding  her a snack

My lovely ladylike wife started saying   "F*ck F*ck ......etc. 
    The director walked by and said "I think she likes you"

I said "i think she is trying to say  CAKE CAKE CAKE"

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living