Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Moving from one MC TO another

Has anyone done this? Moved their LO from one MC to a new one?

Before my DW was admitted too MC we (I) planned a move from California to Idaho to be near my daughters. I felt it time to be close to family as we aged, (me 82, her 91). I bought a mobile home in Boise with the idea we would move there this spring. Her advancing dementia required her going into MC sooner than expected and due to the finances the move must go forward.

I'm hoping and praying that once I can get established in Idaho I can move her to a MC there but do not want to undo any progress or routine she is in now.

Has anyone made a move like this and if so how did it work out.

Thanks, Lee

Comments

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

It seems that you have to weigh the pros and cons of a move.

Is there going to be someone close to current facility to check on her and visit?  If not, then I would vote to move her.  Yes there will be some adjustment for her, but better than being alone so far away.

• Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Emmettlee wrote:

Has anyone done this? Moved their LO from one MC to a new one?

I've never done that so I can't specifically answer your question. You know your DW best so only you can really answer that. Possibly with input from her current caregivers and your family. And it sounds like you have a couple months to think about it?? If it were me though, I couldn't be in a different state from my DH. His MC facility is only a mile from our home and I'm so glad I'm that close. He's at end stage and I visit daily. I would think if you were to move her though, it might be easier sooner rather than later, but I don't know your DW. I couldn't imagine moving my DH now. I could see doing it earlier if there was a need. Fortunately I didn't have to do that. I hope others chime in if they have experience. Blessings
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    I would move her now if possible. The window of time that makes this possible could close while you're "establishing" yourself and settling in. You're a broken hip away from either being stuck where you are or having her live out what's left of her life without family nearby.

You said:

I'm hoping and praying that once I can get established in Idaho I can move her to a MC there but do not want to undo any progress or routine she is in now. I'm hoping and praying that once I can get established in Idaho I can move her to a MC there but do not want to undo any progress or routine she is in now.

IME, most PWD don't make progress- dementia doesn't work that way.

We moved my aunt from one state to another which involved some legal issues that likely wouldn't apply to a spouse. Auntie was in the middle stages of VD and adapted beautifully to a MCF nearer her guardian. She adapted so beautifully; she lived another 10+ years. 

I moved my parents nearer me when dad was diagnosed in the middle stages. He went from his house in FL, to his place in MD, to a hospitalization (during which he was diagnosed) in PA for a week, to a rehab in PA for 7 weeks, to an apartment for 3 months until moving them (they spent a weekend in a nice hotel which dad loved although he cleared out the minibar) into a home because mom was unhappy in the apartment in the space of about 6 months.

I truly don't believe dad progressed at a faster rate than he would have and being near me provided support and safety for my mom. One of the reasons I moved my parents was because the prior year my mom had gone into an autoimmune liver failure and dad was unable to recognize how sick she was or get proper care for her. She nearly died on his watch, and he never told me. The hospital called me as an emergency contact because they realized dad wasn't firing on all cylinders. 

HB

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney