Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

How do I talk to LO In denial?

Despite neurologist and doctors telling DH of his early dementia diagnosis. Therapist asked u have any memory problems? He says no !

He asks me why he is having therapy, putting patch on etc.

Is it wrong of me to keep telling him that we r working on improving his memory?

I don’t know what I should be saying to convince him. He says, I am going to make his memory worse, he has no problem! 

He can’t remember what happened a few minutes ago!

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Sunshine, read about anosognosia. He cant see that hes impaired, its much more than denial. Its part of the brain damage.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Sunshine, My DW never accepted or recognized her dementia so I completely understand how frustrating this can be. M1 advice is correct about educating yourself on anosognosia. The sooner you can accept that he will most likely never recognize his dementia and adjust your approach on the subject the easier it will be for both of you.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    Another vote for anosognosia.

I would question why he's having talk therapy with significant memory loss. He's unlikely to be able to learn and retain new ways of thinking or the tools to use to improve his situation. At best, you're wasting time and money- at worst you could be upsetting him.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    With anosognosia, you could show him the test results. Then he'd probably say they got his mixed up with someone else's. It wouldn't matter how much "Proof" you show him, he can't accept it. Best not to even talk about it, or you're risking upsetting him. Make your life easier by accepting that yourself.
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Be aware that, although it is so frustrating to deal with a loved one who can't recognize the problem, it is also very painful to have the loved one understand where they are and where they are headed. There is pain either way.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more