Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Catastrophically disabled butterfly wings

Curious how your quest for the priority group 4 classification is going.

I spoke with Jim's doctor and social worker about this. Neither has heard of this classification.

Today I spoke with Dr again who told me he is uncomfortable doing the testing required as He has not been trained in that. I told him I didn't want him to do anything he was uncomfortable with. He was however more than happy to dictate a letter saying Jim was not safe to be left alone and needed supervision. So he is sending me this letter to use... the problem is of course I am supposed to file the letter and form with his PCP so I would in effect be sending him his own letter.

Next week I will attempt to track down the VA coordinator to see if they are useful. So it left me curious if you have found a way through this and if so if you would share what it was. I am hoping to educate my VA but am finding it not a simple process.

Thanks

Shardy

Comments

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Hi Shardy! 

Moms new hospice is going to check with the VA for us. Do you have a hospice team that could help you with the VA? Just a thought. I’m wishing you the best! 

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Shardy - We are doing exactly what abc123 said -- our hospice SW is taking the lead on it now, and making progress working directly with their social work contact at the VA. The VA SW even sent our hospice SW the Katz form to fill out, based on translating hospice's own assessment of my DH to that ADL evaluation scale (it is one of the VA approved ones listed on the Catastrophically Disabled application form. I attached a sample of it to the original thread).

So it is not going super fast, but definitely feels like progress. They seem to be educating each other, though the VA soc worker did have some awareness of this Priority 4 designation and its appropriateness for vets with dementia. I will let you know what I learn next week. For us, I first had to enroll DH in VA health which is now done, though it was a process since we are homebound and I had to stop and start a lot, since I'm also wrangling a stage 6e exit-seeking LO. In fact, I have been quiet on the boards for several days really focusing on getting this done -- and next will circle back to the Aid & Attendance application on the VA benefits side. Our LOs are eligible for both I am told.

Will update you as soon as I have some more news -- next week. If I can get the name and contact info of the VA SW, will put you in touch. Maybe they can be a liasion with folks on your end.

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Thank you for sharing this info with us!
  • shardy
    shardy Member Posts: 43
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments

Thanks for the information. Jim is not on hospice. 

Luckily I received a call yesterday from his SW who told me to file the papers with his care coordinator and see what they can do. If he is not approved (which she thinks he should be) then she will appeal it.

She did find a retired worker who knew about catastrophic disability but no-one currently working at our VA does. She is excited to learn about it. And has said she has quite a few dementia patients who should qualify for it so we are happy to pave the way.

I will share how it goes.    Knowing the twists and turns of the VA I would appreciate any additional information anyone has to share on their way through approval.

Thanks so much

Shardy

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

shardy - Yay! That is great news.  We are learning together and may help others in the process!

Below is some information on the Aid and Attendance benefit also (Apply through the other side of the VA (VA Benefits, not VA Healthcare). Hopefully your coordinator can help with that too. 

abc, very happy to share. I have learned so much from other members to help with this journey. It feels good to pay it forward if I can. And, having so many other forum mates who know more about the VA than I do, makes it helpful to post what I'm finding for guidance and additional input from those with VA experience. I don't want to lead anyone astray, and this stuff requires interpreters and experts to help navigate the layers I am very hopeful though. Good luck!

1. https://www.va.gov/pension/aid-attendance-housebound/

2. https://veteranshomecare.com/aid-and-attendance/?msclkid=aa65bf91eb9d1d4c3475de6cb086284b

3. Va Form 21 2680 - Printable and Fillable, Blank PDF Sample

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney