Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Outsiders

The Well Wishers are at it again. They want to help me.

I need to ‘work’.  We should ‘get help’.  she will ‘be fine’.

They don’t see that it all means nothing anymore.  Not any of it.

She is right here beside me now.  She is warm and safe and sleeping.  The day has ended, the meals eaten, the messes wiped away.

Today's smiles were the real ones.  The hug was the real one.  She is so beautiful.

I don’t need to ‘work’.  There is no ‘help’.  She will not be ‘fine’.

Comments

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,315
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hi Robert,

No one understands unless they've been, or are, caregivers.  We can't explain how things are to them because some things are beyond belief.  The best we can do is to take care of our loved one the way we'd want to be taken care of if the tables were turned.  We don't feel that anyone else can give them the care we give.  The end of the day when we're both in bed and resting is the reward we get for the days work.

Bless you for caring for your wife.  There's no one like a caregiver - it takes a special person just as being a nurse or doctor takes a special type of caring person.

Rest well.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Robert, what Lorita said about only caregivers can understand. Is so true as you know. Even as a caregiver something’s or stages still are difficult until our LO is at that stage. Your feeling, she’s right by my side, she’s warm and safe and asleep and beautiful, that’s all that truly matters. Not what others say or imply. Your love and her love for you that’s what’s important. 

God said forsake others and cling to each other!  You are doing it! Stay strong. 

• Bill_2001
    Bill_2001 Member Posts: 114
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Dam Robert. That was so blunt, and so beautiful. My wife is safe and sleeping on my shoulder. Straight-on no-nonsense there. You get it.

Weeping like a willow.

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Robert! You are a good man.

Bill, it's good to see you post! I think of you often.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    RobertsBrown wrote:

She is warm and safe and sleeping.  The day has ended, the meals eaten, the messes wiped away.

Today's smiles were the real ones.  The hug was the real one.  She is so beautiful.

Do not pay any attention to others. It just doesn't get much better than what you said above. Excellent job!

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Understand.  Thanks for sharing.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    You’ve reduced this caregiving to its essence.  Beautifully said.
  • DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    Bravo.
  • Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    I wish I could say those words! I am having a hard time being a good caregiver!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more