Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Awful baby rash

Hi there, 

My DH is wearing depends all of the time now. I try to keep him dry and clean, but he has developed a terrible rash and some bleeding. I’ve contacted the doctor and they told me about desitin and other medicines. Does anyone have suggestions how to get this problem resolved since either in the morning, his underpants are drenched or I don’t know really what to do.  I feel bad for him and I am a little ‘tired’ from this new problem added to the changing.  I clean him up about six times a day and it probably got irritated in that area. I am still caregiving, but this is a rough patch in the process. Thanks for any suggestions. My apologies for being so blunt in the subject. Thanks. 

Comments

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Spanky - I'm sharing a thread that several of us contributed to a while back. Maybe there is something here that will help you and your DH. That does sound miserable for both of you.

I understand! It was one of the worst AD experiences we have had so far really. FYI, I think you want to get his Dr's opinion asap also. It could be more than just a rash from moisture -- we had a yeast infection situation that got truly out of hand in less than 48 hours from the first sign of irritation! It was really scary. We got things cleared up with an oral anti fungal, the Nystatin medical ointment and then use an adult wipe down and a tad of A&D ointment after every single bathroom visit now. Also, no more Depends for us. They may have been too airtight around the legs, and even though he wasn't soggy by any means, he was refusing to change more than 2x per day. After the infection nightmare I just put my foot down. We go through at least 5+ changes of incontinence briefs every day now, and he still uses the toilet half the time too. If there is moisture at all, time for a change. That's my motto anyway.

We use the incontinence underwear that has tabs (like diapers) and I can quickly remove them whenever he takes his pants down...standing or sitting, and replace them without taking his legs in and out of his pants. No fussing or confusion about how (or if!) to lift his leg to help me get his things back on. And we use a pull-up over that, in case he pulls at the tabs in his sleep, etc. IT doesn't even have to be changed but 1x a day or so, since the under brief is the only one that gets wet. So far this is working great! Good luck to you. Hang in there.

https://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?g=posts&t=2147558723

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 570
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes
    I would also examine what kinds of foods he is eating to see if any of it could be contributing to the problem.    There is a whole host of foods that can cause the urine to become more irritating:citrus, tomatoes + others.   Pineapple + pineapple juice can be a huge problem
  • 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

My wife sometimes gets sores/infections in the skin fold where her belly hangs down...I believe her sores are bacterial infections, not what I'd consider diaper rash to be. She wears pull-up diapers all the time too.  I treat that area by cleaning and applying a powder like Zeasorb or Desenex, the active ingredient is Miconazol nitrate 2%. It clears the sores up quickly and regular use and cleaning prevents them.  Not sure but maybe something like this might be worth a try.

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    I use a product called “Butt Paste” for babies.  It’s sold on Amazon. I wish it had a nicer sent but it’s worked great for us. No diaper rash yet and it’s been 9 months in depends.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    The Boudreaux's Butt Paste does work well but the RN just told me not to use it when the skin is starting to break down, as in bed sores because it's so thick and difficult to spread-which could cause more breakdown.
  • DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    Nystatin powder lightly sprinkled after cleaning and drying the area did the trick for my DH. You don't need much and it works.
  • caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I've used tripple paste on the grandkids diaper rashes and it works great.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more