Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Rispiridone and the blues

My husband’s doctor prescribed rispiridone to control his wandering. It has helped somewhat, he is less combative and aggressive. However, he really is confused about night and day. He goes to bed around 4:30 pm and stays asleep until about 8 pm. He comes down and turns up the heat to 85 degrees. I am gasping from the heat and go upstairs and turn the heat down. This goes on through the night.
Around 7 am in the morning he tells me I have to get up. Having gone to bed at 2 am, I am less enthusiastic about getting up. I tell him I will get up later, every five minutes he comes back, if I don’t get up, doors are slammed, he smashes the paper on things, screams and yells until I finally get up.

Today the shoes I ordered for him arrived, he couldn’t get them on his feet. I just broke down, half crazed from lack of sleep, I just sobbed in the basement. I realize our lives will never be the same and his abilities have lessened so much. His doctor has told me that he needs to go into care, I realize that is on the horizon. He tells me he will kill himself, it just is so heartbreaking. My heart is broken, I feel ashamed of myself because I lose it a lot. I do realize he is bored and needs to be amused but I cannot be everything. Sorry for the length of this but do feel I can share here safely. Thanks for listening.

Comments

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Dear Bugs, I'm really sorry for the both of you, but mostly for you. I'm concerned about the lack of sleep. 

What made DH say he'd kill himself? Being placed? Did his doctor discuss placement with him at this stage? 

I hope you can get 8 hours of sleep soon! Please try. I realize that's easy for me to say but I sincerely mean it.

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I don't know if he plans to kill himself or not, but he is killing you.  I figure I pay my doctor for advice, and I usually take it.  If his doctor thinks he needs placement, he probably does.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more