Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Memantine

Went to SaveOn to fill memantine for my husband. Using his prescription insurance three months was $120. I paid it then went home and looked up GoodRx. Three months was $21. Went back to the pharmacy with the Good Rx coupon and they refunded me $91. Donepezil will have a similar savings. I will definitely take in coupons for every prescription I fill from now on.

Comments

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Gig, if you are using the good rx on a regular basis you might want to get the gold card with them. I got because I save even more. The gold you do have to pay for, but for $6. A month and save more. It is a great deal in my opinion. My pharmacy has my card on file so I don’t have to remember coupons. Just a suggestion. 

• Newbernian
    Newbernian Member Posts: 34
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments

My husband started on Memantine 3 days ago.  We paid for it with Good RX.

Is this a new medication or has he been taking it for sometime.  If so is it beneficial?  What about side effects?

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Hi Newberian, 

My husband has been on it and aricept since 2016. The aricept gives him a runny nose but I don’t think he has had side effects from memantine. His memory loss is profound but his hallucinations stopped so I have no plans to take him off it. At some point it will no longer work. I know the damage to his brain is continuing but the two meds allow him to function better and make it easy for him to live at home. I would honestly be afraid to stop it at this time in case his abilities and cognition would plummet.

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Hi Joy,

I will look into the card. I checked his glaucoma eye drops and they are much better purchased with our insurance so I will end up doing some on each plan. It is a win to be able to save.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

We use Goodrx for almost all meds now. It is cheaper than the copay on our prescription insurance. After the first time it’s used, we never needed a coupon again, I just tell them it’s goodrx. Be sure to check their website for not only the drug cost at different drug stores. Even using goodrx, there can be large differences between pharmacies.

They mainly just carry generic drugs.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney