Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Respite help

I need to get away from you DW for an hour or two.

Where do I find help? 

Richieweeds80

Comments

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to our club. There are a lot of helpful people here and folks who have had experiences you're having.

There are a lot of options for a few hours away, but they are not predictably workable so you might want to pursue several of them.

Depending on what your circumstances are, there may be family members or friends who can "spell" you for a few hours once in a while.

If you need something regular and predictable an adult day care may be helpful. It can take some time to get set up, and your loved one may not like it at first (that's typical). Privately owned day cares are expensive, but programs like PACE also run them in some areas.

There are individuals and businesses that provide home health care that can come and provide care and/or companionship. These are also expensive and can be unreliable.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I put it out to everyone I knew that I needed help. I asked my family and friends, I wrote the pastor at a church we used to go to and the pastor at the church we went to at that time, I asked co-workers, I wrote it on my facebook page. 

I finally found a group that did homecare. All individuals, not a company. I hired 2 of them at different times. And then I found someone I used to go to church with, who is staying with DH most days while I work.

Honestly, it took me over a year to find someone. I started looking for help before I REALLY needed it. 

There's also a website care.com that you could checkout. I've never used it, so I have no experience to share.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    I used Home Instead. It is a franchise so quality may vary. I also told everyone I knew that I was looking and I read obituaries where the names of caregivers is sometimes mentioned.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome to the forum. It's a good place to be when you need help. If you would edit your profile, and put some information about you and your wife, it would help people give better suggestions for you. 

You should check to see what programs or help might be available from your state or locality. There are usually places to supply different types of help, but unless you check, you won't know unless someone tells you about it.

The other day someone suggested you might call nursing homes or memory care facilities to see if some of the caregivers might be interested in extra work.

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Hybrid model here. I contacted our Area Agency on Aging, which set me up with three hours per week from a licensed agency. It is a grant and there is no charge. They pay directly.

I was also lucky to find a perfect fit in an independent caregiver who connects with my HWD through playing guitar. I pay her directly in cash, and trust her implicitly. I am lucky.

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    There is an adult day care in my community.  They primarily care for intellectually disabled adults, but care for Alzheimer's patients as well.  A friend used them for her husband with good success.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more