Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

There's nothing harder than putting gloves on someone who isn't helping

We've had snow. Lots of snow. DH likes to go outside. He keeps taking off his gloves, and I keep trying to put them back on him. 

Oh my. He looks the other way, waves his hand around, makes a fist, grabs the edge, separates his fingers too much, keeps his fingers stuck together, sticks the pinky out, won't push his fingers in....

Mittens are on my shopping list. This is almost worse than getting him to put his shoes on.

Comments

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Josey, 

I laughed at this, sorry. I ordered two pairs of slip on shoes for my husband. They arrived and he couldn’t work out how to put them on. I lost my temper and then instantly regretted it because he was so contrite. I realize he has to wear lace up shoes now and his sandals in the summer. So gloves must be like quantum physics. 

I am starting to understand the limitations better now, so really have to follow my husband’s lead here. Mittens here we come

• 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    I get it.  Good luck with the mittens. I can't even get mittens on my wife.  I actually thought about trying heavy socks.
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

More adventures with gloves.

A few minutes ago he took off his shoes and struggled to put the gloves on his feet. I let him go, because he was busy and didn't seem frustrated. I finally sat next to him and gently told him those weren't going to go on his feet, and maybe he would prefer some shoes. He continued working the glove onto his foot.

I again said, those are gloves, not shoes.

His response: He looked at me for a minute, looked at the glove, then in his best TV announcer voice, "Shoeglove, brought to you by... ME!"  

I just had to laugh. 

He's now wearing a different pair of shoes and carrying a pair of gloves while he paces.

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 365
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

I had to giggle at this post too. Just move South...problem solved!!   We only have about 2 days a year where we need to wear gloves. Of course, you folks in the northeast and northwest probably wouldn't even need them then.  But I still get it; I have a similar problem putting socks on my husband. He wants to pull his foot backwards rather than pushing his foot forward into the sock.  I feel like I am struggling with an elephant's foot.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Sorry but I too had to laugh with you guys over this. And Josie, the “shoe glove “ is priceless! My husband has always wore boots, either work boots or western boots, but can’t get them on now. I tried tennis shoes but again he can’t tie them. So I did get some slip on ones. They are easy to get on and off, until this past week.  God love him, he keeps getting his finger caught in his shoe. Not sure how he does that!
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    JoseyWales wrote

His response: He looked at me for a minute, looked at the glove, then in his best TV announcer voice, "Shoeglove, brought to you by... ME!"   

I love it!!
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Marie58 wrote:
    JoseyWales wrote

I love it!!

• LisaBH
    LisaBH Member Posts: 2
    Fifth Anniversary First Comment
    My husband struggled with gloves too, and trying to put them on for him was impossible. Then an observant friend of ours said "He keeps trying to put it on his right hand. Give him just the right glove first." Works perfectly - for now! But sometimes he does try to put the gloves on his feet...

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more