Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Impact of Surgery?

My DH had back surgery last May and was under anesthesia for 5+ hours - had memory issues related to his Dementia before that but since then, he's so much worse. I had no idea.  After surgery when he came home, he was hallucinating, seeing things/people, reaching into the air, etc.,  and was very difficult to manage. Kids and I took turns sleeping on the couch as he slept in the lift chair - we were all sleep deprived but his Seroquel helped enormously. Since that surgery, he is more confused and forgetful - sleepier - just worse overall.  His spinal surgeon is recommending more surgery and I am extremely reluctant to allow that to take away even more of him.  Currently exploring spinal cord stimulator - praying this will be the answer to his pain but wondered if anyone has had experience with this?  The Dementia is tough but having back pain requiring more surgery (this would be his 5th) makes this even harder.  Just want to do what's best for him - Any insights/recommendations are very welcomed - thank you!

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    My wife also had a very long spinal surgery. During surgery she had afib. And 3 days after she came home she didn't know how to turn the lights on and off, speech was all but intelligible, she was as confused as she could be, and could not help herself walk with assistance. The surgeon said he thought that new medications she was taking could be the problem. She quit taking those meds, and within a few days she regained most, but not all of what she lost. So in her case, the meds were a big part of the problem, and that's when we started seeing a neurologist.
  • DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    My DH had to  have emergency surgery due to a fractured hip a few years ago. It set him back years cognitively.  When I took him in to see his neurologist and explained he had been worse since his surgery the doctor explained that any kind of anesthesia to a person with dementia is going to have huge setbacks.That was definitely the case with him.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more