Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Thx for the heads-up, night time delusions

We’re it not for those who share on this forum, I would have been blindsided by my HWD’s nocturnal wanderings and shenanigans of late.

Over the past week he has been up 5 of 7 nights. Last night I was blown over by the screaming “get out of MY house” while he loomed over. I almost called 911. I am now fully aware of what “at my wit’s end” means.

He seldom has hallucinations/delusions during the day.

I called his doctor this morning. I know I should ask for a test for a UTI and be ready for a prescription. Has anyone had experience with simply a sleep aid (I have tried timed-release melatonin, 10mg). He has sleep apnea. Are anti-psychotics ever administered just at night? Daytime side effects?

Thanks for being here in this forum!

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Lynne, absolutely you can administer antipsychotics just at night, my partner takes Seroquel 25 mg at bedtime and it has helped her sleep fragmentation enormously.  She has yet to have delusions, but overall she is calmer and less angry than she used to be--hard to know if that's the Seroquel or progression, but i don't think it really matters.....Good luck, hope you hear back promptly.
  • Lills
    Lills Member Posts: 156
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    Seroquel was the magic pill for my DH.  He started out with 12.5 mg and is now up to 100 per night.  He also was wandering at night.  Seroquel truly helped!
  • Neverends
    Neverends Member Posts: 72
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    Seroquel  50mg at night has been a blessing for mother. Better sleep,less delusional and less agitation.
  • Stella Luna
    Stella Luna Member Posts: 50
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

My DH takes 100 mg of Seroquel a day. He was having delusions at night and early morning, so I give him his 50 mg of Seroquel right before bed. He is feeling much better at night and in the morning. 

I had to increase the dose of Seroquel 4 times in the 5 months that he has been on this drug. He is under the care of a geriatric psychiatrist who specializes in AD.

• Daughter of a Marine
    Daughter of a Marine Member Posts: 55
    Seventh Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes
    Seroquel has been a God send for my DH - He had spinal surgery last May and the 5 hours under anesthesia did him no favors.  Until his neurologist prescribed the Seroquel, as soon as he started to fall asleep, the hallucinations, reaching out for people/things, talking, etc., would begin.  He's only at 25mg but I anticipate that will be increased.  A script of this med may help - Hang in there, dear one.
  • Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Update:

The PCP as useless. We got in to see the palliative care group. They recommended restricting naps and tiring him out. They tweaked some existing meds. They are reluctant to prescribe an anti-psychotic because they all affect balance. We live in a house with a lot of not-to-code stairs and are concerned about falls. 

They also recommended moving to a different living situation. Neither of us are quite ready for that.

I also had a word with the pharmacist, who said (but not officially) that the cannabis I use for my HWD’s agitation is my best bet. Good to know.

I am grateful for their input and am open to their suggestions.

• caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    My DH's neurologist gave him trazadone 50mg because he was getting agitated, hallucinating and up alot at night.  It's a anti depressant  and helps him sleep.  He is not drowsy in the am and it calms him down and has helped us both get some sleep.
  • Lynne D
    Thanks Caberr. One of the medication tweaks was doubling his anti-depressant. I appreciate your sharing!
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Hi Lynn, I had a long conversation today with the RN from hospice about different types of meds prescribed for sleep. This particular RN has many years of experience with dementia patients. I was asking about Trazadone bc my PWD has been thrashing around in bed all night most likely a type of restless leg situation. I realize our situations are very different but the RN said something in particular I'd like to share with you. She told me the use of Ambien is dangerous for PWD because it causes delusions. Just wanted you to know. I hope you find a solution quickly.
  • Lynne D
    ABC123 Thanks for the caution; I always appreciate feedback and shared experiences.
  • Farm Gal
    Farm Gal Member Posts: 69
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Lynne,  We have recently gone through the same thing.  My husband has had nighttime delusions for several years and our neurologist prescribed Mirtazapine - an anti depressant.  He had increased the dosage twice and now about a week ago he increased it ago because of more delusions and other behaviors.  He told me that this was the maximum dosage for this drug and in the future if he needed more calming he would prescribe Serequel.

This increased dosage to 45mg of Mirtazapine has really helped.  He has had a few delusions since the increase but I remember that he also did that for a week or two the last two times the dosage was increased but then settled down.  

The neuro told me that Mirtazapine has been around a long time and that he has had very good luck with it.  It is certainly true in our case.  

• JulieB46
    JulieB46 Member Posts: 50
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Lynne, my DH has been on seroquel 100 mg at night and it worked wonderfully. Unfortunately, things have gotten worse during the day. Hallucinations for hours at a time and believing there were people in our house. This type of thing used to only happen in the evening. For the last 2 weeks, it’s happening as a early as 8 or 9 am and during the night. His doc just switched him to Risperidol 1 mg at night.  One or 2. I’ve given him 2 for the past 3 nights and he hasn’t improved yet.  But, they do say it can take time to see results. I agree with your statement about being at your wit’s end.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

Lynne, this is old now, but my DH just got his first Rx for Seroquel, and it is to be given at night only, 15 mg. at first, to “see how he does.”  So All this input from everyone is interesting.

My DH had delusions (things he said he saw me do) that caused huge rage. And, he was up and down rummaging around at night, although he never left the house. We had to get the Rx from a geriatric psychiatrist, who was about 1000x better than the useless PCP and neurology/memory clinic staff. He also the dosage could be easily increased if DH tolerated it, and needed it.

He just started yesterday, so I can’t tell much change yet, although he did sleep better. FWIW, we also tried medical marijuana (and CBD, which I’m dubious about most anyway) and it didn’t do much for DH.

• Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    We're also trying out Seroquel. Started a month ago on 25mg at night. Initial results were better and deeper sleep but still waking up at night paranoid and with delusions.Daytime delusions increased which I didn't think possible. Increased to 50mg at night a week ago and seems to be doing better.  Sleeping longer and delusions are still there but not as frequent at night.  Jury still out but hopeful.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more