Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

After Surgery

My DH had his hernia surgery last Friday and everything went well.  The hospital he had to go to was way out in the boonies of NM.  We had to be there at 6:30am and due to Covid restrictions no one can wait inside the hospital so I had to go sit in my vehicle in 9 degree weather.  I did find a Starbucks about 5 miles away and sat there nursing my coffee for as long as I could.  When I picked him us though he was in tears saying everyone there was yelling and throwing things and this 6'2" guy from Canada was holding him down.  This all eased when I got him home and relaxed.  I told him his mother could visit him for only about an hour and wasn't invited to dinner.  In typical MIL style she showed up about a half hour after I had put him to bed for a nap.  That didn't stop her from marching down the hall barging into our bedroom and waking him up.  I couldn't take her phony baloney god was listening to her prayers and saved his life so I left the room.  It was hernia surgery not a heart transplant!  So far she hasn't tried to test me by showing up at dinner time and hasn't mentioned about me "stealing" her deceased husband's watch.

I'm so glad the surgery is over and he isn't stressing out about it anymore.

Comments

• Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I hope his recovery goes well!!
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I've been thinking about ya'll. Thanks for the update! 

Have you ever tried setting boundaries with MIL????? I'd go as far as a list of what you will not tolerate. Period. Make about 12 copies and have them laminated. Good luck! 

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    So glad the surgery went well, sorry you had to freeze your butty off waiting! Your MIL is a real piece of, well show her where the door is as soon as her allotted time is up! Get some much needed rest for yourself!
  • suddenlympg
    suddenlympg Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    I'm glad that the surgery ended well and that your husband is calm and safe. It's important to have someone who can keep an eye on you after an operation. My husband was a nurse for me after my hernia operation too, and I'm so lucky that I was blessed with this great person in my life. He patiently waited for me to recover and never complained about anything, even tho I know that was a big stress for him. Soon I'll have another operation on  Butt Lift NJ, and I hope my recovery time will be shorter. They say I'll be able to return to work a week after the operation. Well, I hope that everything will be ok with me.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Reported

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia