Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

weight loss since starting aricept

DH was prescribed Aricept in November after results of memory tests had shown declines. Since then he has lost close to 10 pounds, but his appetite has not waned. He has not experienced any nausea, vomiting or diarrhea.

He eats 3 good meals a day and has several snacks such as bananas with yogurt, honey and walnuts; graham crackers with peanut butter and honey, peanuts or almonds, crackers with humus, etc. On weekends I typically have oatmeal cookies with raisins or bake a fruit cobbler which he has with ice cream. He will frequently have a bowl of ice cream at night after dinner.

I had contacted his doctor several weeks ago regarding an increase in incontinence issues at night and some insomnia. He reduced the dosage by half to only 5 mg. He is due to go back to see the doctor next week (neurology).

Is this something any of you have experienced with this medication and your LO's? This rapid weight loss worries me as he cannot afford to lose any weight at all.

Thanks.

dj

Comments

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

My wife has been on that med for five years and hasn't lost weight.

Is your husband less active than before?  A person who reduces his/her exercise will lose muscle mass.

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    My DH has been on the generic of Aricept since 11/2020 and hasn’t had any weight loss.
  • DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    SITM- No, my DH still walks with me and the dogs once and sometimes twice daily in the neighborhood, exercises, etc. Basically nothing has changed except the weight loss. I did read that this is a common side effect of aricept and dementia patients in general, however, so I will ask his neurologist next week about it.
  • dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    My mother was overweight and never lost an ounce on it for the 2 years she took it.  This time around we're not doing Aricept because I personally don't believe it does a thing as far as preserving function or stabilizing the disease.
  • Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    Drina, I was just on drugs.com looking at the side effects of Aricept and they did list weight loss as a “Less Common” side effect.
  • ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Drina, 

Yes, DH had rapid weight loss from Aricept - 20 lbs in a couple of months so his doc stopped it post haste. He did not have any weight to lose, being lean already. For us, it was a no brainer. Not worth it since there isn’t even a guarantee of cognitive benefits. 

There were no gastric effects at all when he was on it...he just suddenly had zero appetite - ever. Just not hungry at all, and might only eat 2 bites of a meal, then could not get anything else down. His neuropsych said not everyone is a candidate for every med. He gained the weight back within a short time of stopping the Aricept.

• DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary

Thanks everyone

. I am taking DH to his neurologist next week to discuss this and possibly get him off the Aricept. He also is very lean normally and he cannot afford any weight loss at all. Frankly I have not noticed any improvement on the Aricept as far as cognitive improvement either.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more