Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Anybody dealt with a fireplace safety issue?

M1
M1 Member Posts: 6,717
1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
We have two fireplaces with gas logs in the house, one in the living room that is only two years old and another in my partners bedroom that was installed when the house was built 15 years ago. She loves it, she is always cold and until now its been useful for keeping her room warm without jacking up the temp in the rest of the house. But she has lost the ability to recognize and use the remote that turns it on and off (the remote for the newer unit in the living room is completely beyond her). So recently, because she couldn't remember how to turn it off she just cut the gas off, which extinguished the pilot light and will require a service call to relight. I have purposely not called, because it seems to me safer to just leave it off, as undoubtedly the same thing will happen again. To my great surprise however she mustered the wherewithal to call the company yesterday on her own, so supposedly they are coming to "fix it" next week. I'm thinking I'm going to call tomorrow and explain/cancel, and I guess I can see if they have any suggestions for me, but I think it's just not safe any more. Am wondering if anyone else here has dealt with anything similar?

Comments

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Replace it with an electric fireplace insert.  Much much much safer
    better for air quality and most likely more efficient

• M1
    Thanks Crushed, I'll ask about that.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Did that with my LO.  It not only looked like a fire, but it made soft crackling sounds as a real fire would.   That seemed to be the answer for us.

J.

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Dear M1, I'm sorry about this latest issue. It amazes me how you always seem to be on top of things. I know you'll find a safe alternative.
  • Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    On our RV we had an electric fireplace that could also emit heat for warming up the front room of the RV. It would crackle like a real fireplace. It was controlled by a remote.
  • M1
    That's the thing, even an electric insert is going to require a remote and that's not gonna fly....TV required a new remote several months ago and she can't always use it. The one for this fire is very simple, two buttons, but she couldn't remember how to use it. I think stalling/fiblets are going to be the way to go.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    M1 wrote:
    That's the thing, even an electric insert is going to require a remote ...

not really 1) many come with switches. 2) converting a remote to a switch is almost trivial on an electric appliance (gas is trickier)

Electric appliances are required to have a hard wired "disconnect"  That is usually a plug you use a switched receptacle plug

This is a 110 volt 20 amp Switched receptacle

• Lills
    Lills Member Posts: 156
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions

We have a gas fireplace with an on/off switch, no remote.  Since DH has been bedbound, I've needed to move the furniture in our LR around to accommodate his hospital bed, etc.  The switch is now hidden, but accessible, behind the sofa.  

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I built an addition to our home almost 20 years ago. I installed a gas fireplace, and put in a simple push button switch to ignite it or turn it off. If you think that would work for your wife, you might ask the repair man about that possibility.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    We have a 4 year old gas log fireplace in PA.  It’s all glass enclosed and I can’t get at the mechanisms to work it for love nor money.  I have my son come by for troubleshooting.  (The pilot is always lit.)  At the ‘shore, we have a gas log fireplace that I can operate (I turn off the pilot when we’re not there for months at a time), but I have to lay on the floor, get out the manual and shine a light in to see what I’m doing. Your partner must be pretty savvy to be able to do what she did!  At our old house, we had an “Amish” heater, freestanding, attractive, electric heater that looked like fire and put out some nice heat.  It plugged into a wall socket and turned on and off with a switch on the side.  Something like that might work for you.  Good luck!
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    M1, the Amish fireplace is made by a company called “heat surge”. There’s a YouTube video, but I don’t know how to provide a link.  I had forgotten how attractive the units are- - pretty wood enclosures, different finishes, etc.
  • M1
    Thanks for the input; I emailed the guy this morning so we'll see what he says.  If a wall switch were feasible that would certainly be a possibility.  Would probably take some rewiring (this see-though fireplace is in a room divider that is covered in stone and not wired) but we'll see.  Worth investigating.....
  • Tony484
    Tony484 Member Posts: 31
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Another possible option:  We have several gas fireplaces on standard thermostats that work great in areas where we need more heat. Just set the temp and forget it. I'd guess that you could somehow lock or otherwise block the adjustment buttons if that becomes and issue. You might also look into a wi-fi enabled thermostat, which might potentially give you more control over changing the settings. I'm assuming you've got or would get fireplace units that are not exceedingly hot to the touch.  You probably know that most now have nearly invisible screens that block physical contact with the hot glass at the front of the fireplace.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes
    Sounds like fiblets and talking to the company she called (as you said) are the easiest way to go, but there sure is a lot of technology/improvements now…..it makes me nostalgic, we have actual wood-burning fireplaces that we used to enjoy. Now DH can’t remember the “steps” needed to build a fire. He used to talk about it, a couple times rummaged around where the wood *used* to be, then forget and wander off before he ever came close to actually gathering up anything needed.
  • Ed1937
    Rescue mom wrote:
    we have actual wood-burning fireplaces that we used to enjoy. Now DH can’t remember the “steps” needed to build a fire.

Is a gas insert a possibility? It would give you that cozy feeling.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

Ed, thank you for this. I kind of wondered, after reading here, if that could be done and how difficult/complicated it might be. 

I’d love to have it, but I have to weigh things considering how much DH hates, is angered by, people doing much of any kind of work on the house. (He cannot be rational about it, I think it’s because that used to be his thing and he can’t anymore). 

But if it was a relatively simple job, I’d definitely look into it.

The other thing is, which is kind of funny?, the last few times we used it couple years ago, I wondered if the chimney (2 stories, the other fireplace is in upstairs bedroom) was partly clogged/blocked. I looked for a chimney sweep/cleaner. Turns out there used to be one here, but he left. Closest one seems to be several hours away. But gas would not need chimney, correct??

• Ed1937
    Rescue mom wrote:

But gas would not need chimney, correct??

You can buy inserts that do not require venting, but are probably, although I don't know for sure, more expensive than one requiring venting (chimney). I'm sure a google search will give you links. Good luck to you.

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Rescue Mom, I'd go with an electric insert if I were you. I have gas fireplaces that vent through the wall and are safe, but they went in when the house was built in 2009 and would be really difficult to retrofit.  I have seen electric inserts that make a beautiful flame-looking heat source.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more