Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Eating Dog Treats

OK, I put away medications (have them hidden in the garage), sharp objects, cleaning supplies, etc., but I never thought to hide the dog treats. Yesterday I went outside to get the mail and came back in to find my DH and both German shepherds eating Pupperoni sticks. DH told me the tan dog told him they were great. It was like they were all having a party without "Mom" around to stop them. The dog treats are now hidden and I am thinking about baby-proofing the pantry. When I think I've thought of everything, there is always a surprise waiting for me - you have to laugh or you will cry.

Comments

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Kenzie,

Thanks for the smile, that was cute. They do look good. Hugs Zetta 

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

When I was a little kid, I'd eat bone meal treats with our dog. Didn't seem to hurt me any.

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Ok laughed out loud at this. 

When I was a kid, my best friend thought it would be cool to try dry cat food. He literally got on all fours and ate the dry food out of the bowl much to the consternation of the cats. My mother found it very funny.

So good thing the dog told your husband the treats were tasty.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Yes, I agree, it's funny but it's not.  They can always think of one more thing we haven't thought of, so it's a constant fire drill.  It's like I never told my son not to jump off the roof, because it never occurred to me that he would.....you can't head it all off, no matter how hard you try!!
  • Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Just THIS morning I found an empty bag of dog treats in our cupboard. I hope they were tasty.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    I know it isn’t really funny, but it made me laugh anyway. Especially since it was the tan dog who told him they were great to eat. I can just imagine that “puppy party”.  I think you missed out!
  • June45
    June45 Member Posts: 365
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    Ed1937 wrote:

When I was a little kid, I'd eat bone meal treats with our dog. Didn't seem to hurt me any.

Hmm...that explains a lot... 

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    If it doesn't hurt the dog, it won't hurt you either.  If fact, I have thought of giving up things the dog won't or shouldn't eat, but that would mean ditching chocolate so forget that idea.
  • Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Omg...my DH sampled the dog treats I give my puppy for training. They were carob treats and did not worry...just couldn't figure out where they had all gone!! Today DH ate some kibble that I had ready for the puppy but spit it out as not as tasty as the carob treats! 

• NylaBlue
    NylaBlue Member Posts: 65
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    When I was a kid my dad ate our dog’s Milkbone treats. He insisted they were good, but I think he also enjoyed irritating my mother!
  • French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

I don't think you'll be offended to hear this, but I also laughed reading you.

I never tasted dogs food, but when I was 2 years old, my sister used to give me snails to eat, raw with their shells… and I was eating them, till my parents saw it. I was already a good French !

• Kenzie56
    Kenzie56 Member Posts: 130
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Care Reactions
    I am happy this little story put a smile on some faces. I know on this forum it is safe to express our stories the way we experience them. Humor helps to offset my stress and have enjoyed all the pet food stories. Who knew there were so many similar ones to tell.  LOL
  • ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I bet that tan dog has some stories to tell us as well.  (: 

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

. . . . and the dogs did not even tattle on your husband eating their pepperoni sticks!  By the way, the dogs are beautiful.  Thank you for the chuckle.

J.

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

First off, the amount we have to spend on dog treats has grown significantly since my DH was diagnosed.  Sometimes the dogs ask to go outside 3-4 times an hour, knowing they get a treat when they come in!

And....one night my son walked in the kitchen and DH said to him, have you tried these, they're not very good.  He proceeded to show my son a bag of jerky that was really dog treats!  At least he didn't think they were delicious!

• Stuck in the middle
    I read a really funny book of stories about camping and fishing titled "If You Didn't Bring Jerky, What Did I Just Eat?"  by Bill Heavy.  I recommend it.
  • 1James
    1James Member Posts: 2
    First Comment First Anniversary

, Thanks for the laugh

• 1James
    1James Member Posts: 2
    First Comment First Anniversary
    I just joined, and have no contacts, and am uncertain as to how this forum works, open  for suggestions.
  • Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Welcome 1James to the forum none of us want to qualify for! But since we do, this is a great place to be. Almost everything I have learned about dementia and caring for someone with dementia, I’ve learned here and there’s a lot of support here as well.

If you want to start a thread, go up one level to “Spouse or Partner Caregiver Forum” and in the upper right there is a small green box to “Add a Post”. You can choose to post or to just read the posts of others. I try to check the forum every day to read the posts. 

I don’t know where you are at in your journey but one of the first things to do is to get your legal documents in order. Find a Certified Elder law attorney. In addition to helping you get the documents in place, they can help with Medicaid planning. Documents include wills, trust (if needed), Durable Power of Attorney, Medical Power of Attorney, Living Will. And if you already have those documents then be sure that your LO with dementia is not your POA, either financial or medical.

• Stuck in the middle

Welcome, 1James.  This site is a great resource.  You can ask almost anything and get responses from others who have dealt with the same thing.  Click on the "add topic" button when you want to start a new thread.

As you can see reading the threads, we talk about most anything, including things that are grosser to me than dog treats.  We don't attack each other or argue politics or religion, but the rest is pretty much open.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more