Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Age Discrimination by doctors

My father is 97 years old and has middle stage dementia.

This evening he was taken to hospital emergency room and treated for a  inguinal hernia which he had never had before.

The doctor performed a procedure to return the protrusion to its proper place. Only meds given were a saline IV. Along with this all sorts of blood work was done and it was noted that he had "secondary sepsis", pancreatitis, and a cyst on one kidney. He was advised to see his PCP. Was also advised that the hernia was not "fixed" and could return, but no further action required unless accompanied by severe vomiting or high temp.

It was noted: At his age I doubt that there will be any surgical intervention or aggressive outpatient work-up.

While I understand that doing surgery of any type is risky for a person with dementia, particularly with his age. Yet I am left wondering why no action was taken regarding the sepsis.

Thanks to COVID only spouse or other care giver can be in ER with patient, so my 98 year old mother is the one who goes in. I only find these things out after discharge and reading the papers she is given.

I don't expect miracles, but at least treating what you can even if it only means days, weeks or months more with us.

Am I expecting too much? At what point do you stop treating any issue.

My dad is a great man...before dementia and even now.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Tough night for all of you. I doubt that he would have been discharged with sepsis; those papers can be difficult reading at times. But at 97 (you have some impressive genes!) Even without dementia, they are right to be conservative in what they do. I'd direct your questions to his PCP I think. Good luck....
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    PS I wouldn't call this age discrimination btw.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    I am sorry you came away from this situation feeling as if your dad was being dismissed because of his advanced age and dementia. Could it be that your dad and mom have discussed which medical interventions they will accept at this point and that they came away with an approach they asked for. 

I agree with M1 that this is a discussion to have with his PCP. And I agree that a hospice evaluation might be prudent at this time. 

It might be useful for you to read up care decisions ahead of deciding.

This book is a good one-

Being Mortal | Atul Gawande

I feel like this piece, originally from the NYT, is worth a read, too-

My 92-Year-Old Father Didn’t Need More Medical Care – The Amateur's Guide To Death & Dying (theamateursguide.com)

HB

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    This is not age discrimination.

He was at the emergency room.  The physician fixed the problem and it was no longer an emergency.  If you wish to pursue surgery for him (why?) take it up with his PCP and/or a surgeon.

At 97 years old, there is no way I'd put him through surgery, and even if he had real sepsis with fever, labs that showed a soaring white count, etc. I would keep him comfortable.

You may want to Google the booklet "Hard Choices For Loving People" and it gives multiple scenarios to consider when trying to take care of your LO, but also recognizing that we all die.  He has 2 things to consider (yes, his age but also the fact that dementia is a terminal illness) and his age DOES need to be taken into context for future treatment.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I agree with the other posters. While you were hoping that he would come out of this a new man, doing the minimum for him would be the way I'd want my father to be treated in this situation. I'm sorry it's so hard.
  • loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,074
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Note to all:

I appreciate your comments and agree that outstanding measures such as surgery are not a good choice given his overall condition.

The "secondary sepsis" is noted on his chart by the attending RN and that a specific MD was aware and no action was taken.  Their words not mine or my "diagnosis".

I am the secondary, after my mother, for his medical POA and am aware of his choices for what actions to take and not take.  I have copy of his advanced directive, and believe me I understand his choices.

I wasn't expecting him to come out a new man, but think the sepsis should have at least earned some antibiotics.

The attending doctor wrote in the chart the statement regarding his age.  And I believe that age discrimination is a real thing unless you are dealing with doctors who practice geriactic medicine.

Guess I was just feeling he should have gotten more in the way of  medical treatment.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/17/health/age-discrimination-khn-partner-wellness/index.html

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I'm not a doctor, but to me the word "secondary" sepsis suggests the sepsis was due to the hernia and will resolve without treatment now that the hernia is reduced.  I hope so, anyway.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more