Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Got a wonderful gift this morning

billS
billS Member Posts: 180
Third Anniversary 100 Comments

Yesterday one of Fern's lady friends visited her at the MC facility and reported she was cheerful and talkative. Then this morning I checked the facility's Facebook page and find this wonderful photo of Fern being helped by a fellow resident. Brought tears of joy to my eyes.

Right now I am baking fresh muffins to share with her later this morning. 

Comments

• French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Bill, this is very good news.

I can understand your joy seing her relaxed and happy. This man, helping her is very kind. I'm glad to see that such a dreaded step can actually be lived well. It shows that we can't transpose our fears into those of our loved ones, which are totally different, because they now see life differently.

Yesterday I had a video showing my partner dancing the rock with the occupational therapist. He seemed to enjoy it and was applauded by all the others (it was certainly the reason of his large smile). Today he and the caregiver called me twice. The time has started to seem long since December, I think, he misses me. I will return in Tunisia in 15 days. 

• French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    I have forgotten : enjoy your cookies. I'm going to take some  French cheese (and wine ?) to Tunisia
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Bill, thank you very much for sharing this wonderful news.  The photo of Fern with the nice person helping her is deeply touching.  

You have been and are a loving, kind and caring advocate for your dear wife.   This certainly is a difficult period of adjustment for you and by seeing how wonderfully Fern has done is a testament to the fact that you made the right decision for an appropriate living situation for her.

And you bake!  Imagine her delight in the fresh baked muffins . . .

Let us know how you are doing; it is always good to hear from you,

J.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Bill, that's great! Glad things are working out for you.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Bill that is such wonderful news! So happy for your dear wife. The friends she is making just shows what a blessing she is to others. I know she will enjoy her the wonderful muffins you are making. Remember she might want to share some with her new friends! 

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    It looks like she is in a wonderful place with thoughtful neighbors. That's great!
  • billS
    billS Member Posts: 180
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments

I just got home from having a fantastic visit with Fern. She was taking part in activities, greeting people, and smiling. Unlike my first visits, her posture and walking were quite good and she did not seem at all sleepy so she must be getting more rest. I brought muffins from home and coffee which we enjoyed in the courtyard. A staff member came by and said that yesterday was make your own pizza day and said Fern enjoyed that project. She also said that residents did small painting projects, showed me a photo of several and asked which one I thought was Fern's. Fern was a piano tuner so I guessed the musical staff which turned out to be right.

She seemed to think I was just another friendly face and showed no regret when I told her I had to go home. I could not be more pleased that she is both happy and safe.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more