Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

The Dog Bit the Caregiver

Since June of 2021 I have had the same private health agency caregiver come to our house for 4 hours on Wednesday. This allows me to get out of the house, grocery shop, and decompress. The caregiver and Hap (the dog) have always gotten along well. While the caregiver is here, they often play ball or fetch.

While I was away yesterday, our dog Hap bit the caregiver. I didn't see what happened, of course. DH states that the caregiver was pushing Hap around right before he bit her. I suspect, Hap was being protective of DH while the caregiver was interacting with DH.

1. The bite did break the skin. 
  2. The caregiver refused medical care. 
  3. The caregiver states she is fine. 
  4. I asked the caregiver to report the incident to her manager. 
  5. The caregiver states she does not want to inform the agency. 
  6. Hap has never bitten anyone before. 
  7. Hap has all of his shots.

I plan to keep the dog in the spare bedroom next Wednesday. DH is already poo-pooing my decision to isolate Hap while the caregiver is here. I can't risk him injuring the caregiver. I welcome your thoughts.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I'm sorry to hear that, Lady. I guess since they've always been fine together, I wonder if it was an intentional bite, or if Hap was playing. If it was intentional, and you don't know why it happened, maybe putting him away might be the best thing. Or get some input from the caregiver to get into her mind a little. If she's uncomfortable with him being out there with her, no doubt putting him away would be the best thing. On the other hand, if they seem fine together, maybe you're worrying about something that is really nothing much. You just have to keep in mind that you will be liable if something does happen again. Tough call.
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I think you are right to separate the dog while the caregiver is there.  He is obviously protective of your spouse.  The more your husband progresses, the  more hands on the caregiver has to be.  The more hands on the caregiver has to be, the more likely the dog thinks your spouse is being mistreated. 

I’ve been wondering about you.  I’m glad that I saw your posts today 

• extex
    extex Member Posts: 62
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments
    So sorry to read about the  dog bite.With your husband already in hospice, almost bed bound and losing weight I am also very surprised that he is able to converse with you about the dog bite and express an opinion about it.  My wife has been at this for at least 10 years, has no long or short term memory and would have no recollection if our dog bit 10 people.  I have had her evaluated for hospice and she flunked because she is not bed bound and not loosing weight.  I hope you are able to keep the same caregiver because your husband is use to her and she knows the routine.
  • Cynbar
    Cynbar Member Posts: 539
    500 Comments Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    I have worked in various capacities for the Visiting Nurses for several years, and I can tell you this is a common occurrence. I imagine the caregiver was caring for your DH and he is some way was showing distress or unhappiness---- of course, the dog doesn't understand what is going on, and rushed in to protect him. In fact, it happened so often that our agency now has a policy that all dogs in the home have to be shut away, no matter how friendly the family thinks they are. No exceptions. I would congratulate Hap for being such a loyal protector, then put him away during future visits. It just means he's a very good boy.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I'm soooo sorry this happened. I'm sorry for everyone. Especially Hap and your husband. I think Cynbar was spot on. 

As always, I'm sending a hug to Hap.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney