Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH has lost 16 pounds since starting hospice 24 days ago

A year ago, DH weighed 198 pounds. DH now weighs 168 pounds. 

DH started hospice on 1/17/2022. DH has less of an appetite than he used to. He is much less active. He spends most of the day in a recliner. He only walks about 10 steps (or less) each day.

When he was admitted to hospice, several of his meds were discontinued, including: Astorvastatin, Metformin and Metoprolol. Another med change, prior to hospice was stopping Divalproex Sodium and re-starting Quetiapine.

Is this the expected progression or something else?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

LT, no way to know for sure of course, but from what you’ve described in general I suspect it’s progression. I take it he was diabetic (metformin)? Glad it was stopped as the weight loss may have brought his sugars down anyway.

I’m sorry, I know it’s hard to witness. I fully expect my partner to stop eating at some point. Sorry about the dog bite too. One more thing to worry about. I agree with putting him up though if you’re not there, you don’t want a repeat.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

LT -  some of the weight loss might be  attributable to medication changes - since some medication may cause weight gain. The appetite change could be affected by the medication changes - or not. 

However I think you are seeing the natural progression. I know that I saw physical changes in both my in-laws the last year of each of their lives, and neither had dementia. They looked smaller, frailer, had more physical illnesses and issues, slept more, etc 

Now am I making a prediction as to how long your spouse will live?  No I am not because I think dementia has a timetable  that is different than other illnesses. 

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

A person doesn't lose fat that quickly (I know, I have tried).  I think he is losing muscle mass, just as anyone would do who walked only ten steps per day.  Considering his inactivity, weight loss is a natural process.  His inactivity also is likely the source of his lack of appetite.

We used to say people "took to their beds" at the end of their lives.  I'm afraid your husband is doing that.  I am sorry.

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    It sounds like the expected progression. We are a little ahead of you on the road  We have been on Hospice 6 months now and the two biggest changes have been in my husbands weight ( continues to loose although eating fine) and now no walking. He is bed bound now and  so is loosing muscle mass

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more